1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Well being - are all schools like this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sarahlouxx, Mar 10, 2018.

?

What should I do?

1. Try somewhere else

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Give up teaching

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

We have a ridiculous marking policy involved 4 coloured highlighter, two coloured pens and multiple stickers.

We are not allowed to share any planning with our year group partner.

Data is handed in between 6 and 9 times a year depending on how worried you are about your class.

Pretty much no class has TAs apart from
    Reception and year 1.

Having read all of the dfe guidance, it gave me hope. I have had enough. I am handing in my notice at the end of the year. I can’t do it any more. Should I try somewhere different.

I am in year 6. Maybe that doesn’t help either.

bevdex and NotAPowerRanger like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You've made a correct decision to get out. There are better schools out there (but don't expect anyone to name them, it's more of a rumour).

Can I please ask, is it teaching you're leaving or just the school?

You've got to know when to walk away
    Know when to run
    Kenny Rogers- The Gambler

3. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

This is my big decision.

I know i want out of this school. But if all schools are like this, I want out of the profession.

However, if there is hope out there, I do love the job generally so just trying to scout out if better is out there!

4. WelshMags

WelshMags New commenter

I'm in a lovely school this year with very well behaved children, but I'm in Y6 and the workload is horrendous. Data rules. I've come to the conclusion this is the same everywhere. Not renewing my one year contract.

5. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

When I left teaching (due to workload - dht, y6, full time teaching commitment) every child had a file with the targets for every curriculum area. We had to highlight every half term the target for every child in the class had achieved. It was ridiculous, didn't improve teaching at all but the head teacher (and her disciple,) not me as dht (but that's another story) believed it was absolutely necessary. That was the end for me. I left teaching 3 years ago.
    Ps, I didn't highlight the files for the late 3 half terms and no one noticed.

Billie73 likes this.
  6. sarahlouxx

sarahlouxx New commenter

Please accept my apologies for the bad grammar in my original post - it was sent in a moment of annoyance after reading an email saying they saw evidence in my book that I had done the same maths starter as the other year 6 teacher. They reminded us both of the need to not share planning etc.

It was a question from 2017 SATs paper that was badly answered. We didn’t event share it - we both went away and found it! Argh.

Thank you for the replies. Lots of food for thought. Love the Kenny Rogers quote!

7. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

I have recent experience in 2 primary schools and both share planning across the year group. Teachers divide up the subjects between them and share everything.
    I've not heard of targets in foundation subjects. One school doesn't even do marking in non-core subjects.
    Try another school before you leave altogether?

8. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

Goodness. I have worked in Y6 in 4 different schools and planning was always shared. I have never heard of it not being allowed. And only the middle school I worked in had targets for foundation - never Primary.

9. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

There are definitely better schools out there (although the workload will still be high, particularly if you’re in Year 6 or have leadership responsibilities).
    A lot of schools are changing marking policies so they are much less time consuming.
    Most schools collect data 6 times a year.
    I’ve never heard of a school not allowing shared planning, although some are stricter about whether teachers have the freedom to deviate from shared planning or not.
    I know some schools have very little ta support any more, but there are also plenty who do.
    Look at some school websites and read their policies and you should get a feel for what they are like.

10. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

OMG get out of your school immediately. Teaching is hard enough without having extra hoops created for vane, power-crazed head teachers! OF COURSE PLANNING SHOULD BE SHARED! Print this off and attach it to your resignation letter in relation to marking:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...september-2015/ofsted-inspections-mythbusting
    You got asked about having the same starter as the other Y6 teacher? Are you absolutely kidding me? Who on the SLT has time to check this sort of thing? GET OUT.
    Targets for foundation subjects? Surely your foundation subjects are taught as part of your core subjects?
    No, not all schools are like this. Mine isn't. I have autonomy in virtually everything I do. My head trusts me. I do think Y6, of all the year groups, is particularly pressured, so maybe consider a change there. Is supply an option, so you can check out different schools for a couple of terms?

11. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Shared planning makes teachers lives easier and 99.9% of the time will not make any sort of negative impact on the children. Teachers whose lifes are made easier are happier, more enthusiastic, better teachers.

12. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

:mad:

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Share the planning anyway, only teach the topics in a different order to each other.

I've worked in almost 10 schools over the years and sharing planning has always been actively encouraged!
    Definitely just find a different school...and try a different year group as well.

Bumptious and sunshineneeded like this.
  14. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Leave. Leave now.

I suggest you try private education. I teach y6 and there’s far less pressure as we don’t do SATs. Yes they do entrance exams but On the whole they are easier than SATs, plus if a child is clearly not cut out for a school we tell the parents and largely they take our advice and look elsewhere.

We submit data 4x per year. I have to do my own planning simply cos there’s only 1 y6 class. But I only teach about 4subjects and get far more PPA than state teachers. I’ve had 1 observation this year, no one checks my planning or marking, and guess what?! The children still make progress!! I made the move in September and haven’t looked back.

All private schools are different though, you need to look around to check it’s the school for you.

15. aviewfromtheridge

aviewfromtheridge New commenter

Your experience is utterly ridiculous. I don't see how the vast majority of that, if any of it, makes the children's learning better - quite apart from anything else, they need a teacher who has the time to think about how best to push their learning along. Far better to have shared planning then spend the released time tailoring it to your class. I'm upper KS2.

Anyway, in answer to your question ... no. Not all schools are like that. I've moved from a big school, where one teacher in the year group did English planning and the other Maths (on the basis that it saved each of them work), to a small school where I do all the planning. We hand in data three times a year, but we had a proper staff meeting discussing what was needed - where the head listened thoroughly to feedback before going away and making a decision, actually having listened to us. We changed our marking policy too - I had brought a few developments from my last school, a few years back, which we integrated into how we worked. I wasn't keen when a new member of staff suggested pink for positive feedback and green for areas to improve (and still despise the 'pink for positive, green for growth' nonsense) - but actually, I've really grown to be in favour of it - it makes it much easier for the children to see what I like and what I want them to work on. I just need two pens in my hand as I mark and swap them as I go. No highlighters unless you want to *gasp* highlight something, no stickers and autonomy in the classroom as long as you check in with the other members of staff if you have a big development or suggestion. It's a pretty good place to work.

16. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Aviewfromtheridge sounds like he/she works at the perfect school! What a joy if all schools were like this. Listening and valuing staff, pooling ideas, and with staff like him/her that are prepared to give ideas a go and shift opinion without ego where appropriate. Full marks.

Bumptious likes this.
  17. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

To start with, the first two are policies create by idiots and (depending on the class) I wouldn't be happy about the lack of TA's either. Find somewhere else.

Bumptious and JohnJCazorla like this.
  18. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

This is where people need to be speaking up. Our Head teacher sometimes forgets how much he is piling on. Our deputies clubbed together and went to tell him staff were struggling under the workload and morale was being affected. Deadlines were extended, expectations were relaxed in relation to numerous things and we all had a bit more breathing space.

People need to either vote with their feet or say something with their mouths.

19. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Excuse me? The need to NOT share planning? One of the greatest strengths of multiple form entry primary schools is the ability to plan together!!!

Find yourself an independent school. I mark with whatever colour pen I can find about once a month and the school thinks I'm great :)

20. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

In our school consistency across the school is what is actively looked for. NOT having the same planning/lessons would be queried, not the other way around.
    Surely NO - ONE does all that four colour making stuff anymore!!
    Isolation is a bullying technique. I would really wonder at the motivation behind most of what you have reported.