1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Welfare of staff?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Happyregardless, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Am I the only one who is thinking welfare of staff is not being thought about much?
    The whole onus is on providing for children and families if schools have to close, over coronavirus pandemic, which of course it should be and I am glad to serve them...
    But on supply at a school where they've just had a sickness bug (not related, I'm told) but how does anyone know this?
    Everyone is coping with it by joking about it and saying " Oh it'snot that and other staff lening over you and right close up - I've had to step back a few times and got funny looks or been mocked for doing so?
    Yes common sense should prevail and there is a hand washign schedule now in place but if anyone is going to contract anything it will be teachers who cannot keep the '2m distance' away from pupils within normal classroom interactions?
    Children still being sent in by parents coughing and sneezing and not really taking recommendations seriously? Teachers are seem to be thought of as people too - with their health and the health of their families to also think of?
    Yes, children need to be protected but so do staff - or is it just that they are all oky with their sick pay and not thinking of it from the standpoint of a supply teacher without such benefits

tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Schools should have closed days ago.

For everyone's benefit: children, parents, teachers.

Think about it.. large groups of people who cannot always stop and wash hands...changing rooms between classes in secondary, touching books, papers, equipment, tables etc.. all not being wiped down often.

3. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

No happyregardless you are not the only one.

I could go off on one here, but I will restrain myself.

When this is over... and it will be over at some point... i wonder if things e.g. protection for gig economy workers will be any different.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I like the phrase 'gig economy' it makes me feel like I earn my living as a roadie for the rolling stones.... Rather than a rubber toy for Herman's hermits to chew on!

5. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Schools closing now in any case from Friday, except vulnerable and those with key worker parents - will be ontline teaching but its for Chinese companies so only a few hours around lunchtime each day but ar least it's something.