1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

welfare meeting

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fabulous1, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I've only been posting in Tes for 2 weeks as I'm in rather a difficult situation and I've found that everyone's support and advice has kept me going. It's quite a long story - involving a dodgy lesson observation and 4 months with the TA from hell ! Well to sum everything up (again !) - I've taught for 18 years and class myself as a good teacher (Once I was an 'excellent' teacher -Ofsteds words, not mine). Over the past 3 years, I've found the going tough, particularly as I have had depression and anxiety. I find it hard to jump through the hoops of observation and raise my game. In November, I had an 'inadequate' observation ( hate that term- we wouldnt describe one of our pupils like that) from my Deputy HT who said, amongst lots of other things, that I wasnt 'commanding' enough. Because I have had other issues in the school, I knew what the implications would be -i.e. informal capability. The upshot is that after much soul searching I told my head that I was going to leave the profession- possibly seeking TA jobs. This wasn't a 'knee jerk' reaction- I've been thinking about getting out for some time. Things seemed to quieten down- then after the Xmas holidays, I was called into meeting to discuss 'support package'- thus I ended up starting the thing I was dreading the most! Then last week, after a horrible afternoon with my TA, who seems to gain odd pleasure in pointing out all of my mistakes in front of my colleagues, I had a severe anxiety attack (at home, thankfully not in front of the children) and my doctor has signed me off for 2 weeks. Now I have been asked to attend a welfare meeting next week with head and HR - I'm taking union support with me ( they are supportiive, but not exactly dynamic- I suppose they see this sort of thing often ) I'm qutie worried about this, as I don't know what to expect. Has anyone else ever attended one of these meetings? It is sad, because I know that, ultimately, my career in teaching is over- a job, which once over I absolutely adored- but I do want to leave with some dignity- not be hauled over the coals in a capability procedure. I would resign, but I am currently the bread winner and don't want to bring financial ruin to my family- any support, advice, as always would be welcome

2. groovy15

groovy15 New commenter

I had one a few weeks ago and the longer I was there the angrier I got and the more determined i got to take action. Take union representation again and if you are uncomfortable in any way just stop the meeting and say that it is not helpful or supportive. At my last meeting I broke down and shouted at HR saying that I had been bullied and they were told many times and ignored it and they went red!!!! It was generally to see how I was. I would also consider going to Occupational Health and explain everything that is going on with the depression and anxiety. I think your union can help you with this. If no proper support has been provided by the school and they have decided on the Infomal Capability route then take action maybe consider a grievance on management.
    I find you have to really pester the unions and say what you are going to do. It took ages for me to get angry but you do get there. When you start feeling better, think of all your options remeber you and your family are too important to be treated in this way.

feel free to PM me if you need a chat
    Good luck x

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Do not go anywhere near this without a properly trained union rep. If your school rep has had no training, insist on having someone there who has.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I disagree. A school rep is definitely not the person to accompany the OP at such a meeting.
    It should be the area rep at least.

5. have an area rep go with you and ask to be referred through to occupational health. they can state that your working conditions are making you ill and insist on changes - such as changing the TA.