1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird things that are "out of stock"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Apr 8, 2020.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I just spent a few hours online, trying to buy art supplies. My usual shop (Jackson's Art Supplies) is out of stock of all my usual things - certain paint brands, certain colours, canvas, art panels etc. It's all a bit mad. Been looking for other suppliers but it's the same everywhere. Looks like people are turning to art to pass the time, which usually I'd be totally happy about, but I'm running out of Cadmium Orange which seems to be the art equivalent of toilet roll right now.
    Yes, I know, first world problems, but...

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I wonder if people have been buying up art supplies to give their children something to do? My grandchildren seem to have lot more art and craft supplies than hitherto.

needabreak, agathamorse and coffeekid like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Quite expensive art supplies though - I mean there are "hobby" art supplies, and there are professional ones. I wouldn't waste that money on my ten year old, much as I like to see her making art!

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Supply chain won't be functioning either.

I've tried many online shops to try and get some easter eggs sent to my (young adult!) children We separated while I was still going into school regularly, and expecting that to continue, so we ended up locking down in different households.

There are easter eggs available, but no choice, and 4x the normal price, at least

We don't normally have Easter gifts as such, just a bit of chocolate. This year I've sent the a strange random assortment of bits and pieces, because the chocolate is so unreasonable.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I went to a fabric shop the week before the lockdown to get material for my daughter's art project, knowing it was something she could get on with if stuck at home. The owner said she had never had such as busy week, people were coming in to stock up on patchwork and dressmaking materials.

agathamorse and coffeekid like this.
  6. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Jeremy Corbyn?

7. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

I bought wool for crocheting. One thing went out of stock after I placed the order and they apologised for a delay in processing because they were overwhelmed by orders. Quarantine isn't all Netflix :)

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You're kidding about Easter Eggs - every supermarket is full of them.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Supermarkets are full of them and already have a great many on reduced price offers.
    Even M&S has theirs on 3 for 2.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I ordered a jigsaw from the shop in Grasmere but after a couple of days I got a refund with no explanation. Their website just says that orders may be slower than normal. Might give them a call to see what's going on.

agathamorse and coffeekid like this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Neccessity is the mother of invention, @coffeekid. An opportunity maybe to experiment with a different type of paint or to see whether Brewers, who supply paint to decorators in any colour you like could mix you up a Cadmium Orange paint, which our Cookery forum colleagues can advise how to reduce to the thickness and consistency of an oil paint.

Maybe you could put Joni Mitchell's Blue album on to get inspired by a different colour such as Little Green? Donvan's Colours could open up an entirely different paint box. Simply Red and Deep Purple might also spark a mood to reduce your reliance on Cadmium Orange.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have been ordering jigsaw puzzles from Amazon for my Mum. I wouldn't usually send her dinosaurs but lots are out of stock.

14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

In my local supermarket today there was plenty of toilet roll but not one packet of hair dye. The shelf was totally empty.

primarycat, coffeekid and agathamorse like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I noticed yesterday the toilet roll section is back to normal.

My wife had to sit outside yesterday as they would only let one person from each household in.

So next week we're doing separate trolleys and separate lists.

coffeekid likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The hair dye shortage is understandable, I suppose.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - people are desperate to drink anything these days

coffeekid likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Tesco have also introduced a series of arrows to guide you round the store - nobody was taking any notice of this mind you.

Also I forgot to play my usual game of "Who's bought the Daily Express" - anyone that does I immediately vomit into their trolley.

19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

20. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I got creative yesterday and sent a friend a photo of what I'd made. They were astonished that I had all the materials at home already. Strange, but then again this friend has never been allowed into my spare bedroom. (Hell, I can barely get in there myself!)

Apparently, some people do it the wrong way round: they decide what they'd like to make and only then go out and buy all the stuff...

rachel_g41 and knitone like this.