1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird noises in the house!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Aug 31, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

All day today something has been scritching and scratching (now it is knocking!) on the wall of our house. We live in a converted barn and it appears to be stuck in the cavity of the wall along the bottom hallway, between the large vaulted room and the staircase to our bedroom.
    Whatever it is it is making a bloody racket and, as we have no bedroom door (ours is the only room off that staircase) we will be kept awake by the bloody thing all night!
    The Jack Russell is going crazy in the garden, on the other side of the wall and he is attempting to get in through the brickwork (ha! not a chance mate!)
    I don't know what it is but it really is making a din!
    I'm guessing whatever it is it can't get out, so it will continue crashing and banging until it dies! As if I don't suffer enough from insomnia I've now got to wait for this mystery intruder to meet its maker before I can get any peace.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [​IMG]

2. SQUEAK!!!! you've got a mousey...

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

sounds more like another jack russell!

4. BelleDuJour

Bloody enormous mouse!
    Die, die, die.......please so I can get a bit of peace!

5. Wierd?
    Wired??
    Oh - weird. I see. Probably a rat - given that you live in a barn.

6. I'd call in the RSPCA, if I were you. They would be able to rescue it.

7. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Is it a little mouse with clogs on?

8. BelleDuJour, I feel sorry for the thing that is stuck. I know it's certainly a sad thought that some animal is just hours away from it's death and it's last hours are spent suffering. I strongly agree with sea-pink I would have called the RSPCA to see if there is anything they can do.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

more likely a rat who has managed to find its wa n.or could it be a bird dropped down from somewhere
    dont suppose you have apoltigiest? lol

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I had something like that for a while in the bedroom of a house I once owned. My wife first became aware of the noise, but it wasn't continual, and everytime she said she heard it and asked me what it might be, it stopped, so it was several days before I eventually heard it for myself.
    It turned out to be a bird that had fallen down the chimney.The previous owner of the house had removed a fireplace in the living room and patched up the ceiling, but left the rest of the chinmey upstairs intact.
    It took ages to find out where the noise was coming from. In the end I lifted a floorboard and shone a torch and could see the bird's legs in the small gap between the bottom of the chimney and the downstairs ceiling.
    I had no idea how I was going to get the bird out and was pondering a solution when all of a sudden the bird popped its head out and took off, flying like a demented beast around the bedroom looking for a way out. It frightened the bloody life out of me, particularly as I had previously gone to bed and was standing there with no clothes on.
    In the end, I managed to open a window and off it went. The odd thing though, is that when I replaced the floorboard, I noticed several pieces of fresh bread under the chimney. It was as though another bird had been attempting to feed it.

11. So do I. I can't imagine knowing an animal or bird is stuck behind a wall or in a chimney and not trying to help it. Waiting for it to die - what a horrible thing to think.
    We once freed some baby starlings from behind a wall in the kitchen. The parent birds had nested under the eaves and the young started moving around in the roof space and ended up at floor level. ( The kitchen has a cathedral ceiling)

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Have you noticed things going missing recently?

[​IMG]

13. BelleDuJour

I'm beginning to think it might be a bird, as we have had house martins nesting this summer. Truth is it will be impossible to rescue it without almost dismantling the back wall of the house.
    I am an animal lover, but realistic to know that causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to the house to rescue a small bird/rodent is not a viable option.
    Oh...and sea pink....quit the bitching just becasue I made a typo (oops....there's another one but you know what? I'm not going to correct it!)

14. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Hmmm let a wild animal die or cause thousands of pounds damage to my home??!!
    Pop some ear plugs in belle ;-))

15. Hope you get it sorted, maybe a fireman could help?

16. BelleDuJour

Thanks Bizent....the voice of reason (as always!). BTW am in Captain's Club Sat lunchtime if you fancy a glass of pink Taittinger or a pint of 'wife-beater' [​IMG]

17. BelleDuJour

A fireman could sure help me but not sure about mouse/bird! [​IMG]

18. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Oh bother...I'm off up that London with the OH for a bit of luxury before heading back to work. One day Belle, one day!! X

19. BelleDuJour

Until we meet again Biz! [​IMG]
    Have a great time in London (nice champagne bar in Selfridges called Hix!)

20. Naughty Belle!
    I once unfortunate enough to have a rat invade the house and die somewhere. Oh the stench! It was just before Christmas too and I had to have all the windows and doors open to get rid of the smell. It was vile.
    I'm afraid, distressing as it is, that the creature would just have to take its chances. There is no way I would demolish my house to rescue a mouse.