1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird neighbour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by O_live, Oct 26, 2018.

1. O_live

O_live New commenter

Hi Everyone,

If a neighbour keeps coming to your door and going physical on the charity bags left for collection.. Could anything be done about that? I am a bit scarred of this weird neighbour. :eek::(

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Going physical? What does this mean? If you are afraid of violence you should call the police.

install and FrankWolley like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post 2, but worth taking anything you want to donate to a charity shop yourself as many of these bags are actually scams. We never use them.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I use the bags but only to put things into and take to the charity shop myself. It saves the plastic from being wasted.

install, InkyP and FrankWolley like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

First interpretation-
    They might be completely skint and rummaging for things either to use or to sell.
    Although it seems an infraction, in their eyes it is stuff you have thrown away therefore why not just take it? They are not busting into your house and taking your silver, and that is the difference.
    You could always say to them "what sorts of things are you looking for?" and bear that in mind when you do a charity bag next time. That is pretty likely to make you feel less scared of them.
    It depends why you are doing the charity bag in the first place-free disposal service? Or decluttering with benevolent results for your favourite cause? If it's the former, why not give him the stuff he wants? And if it's the latter, why not ask if he'd like something for a donation which you can pass on. Although I suppose somebody who overtly wombles in your garden may not be amenable to donating.
    Or you could call the police and get your neighbouring womble into trouble for trespass, which I'm pretty sure is likely to make you feel even more scared of them.

I suppose my angle is formed by asking "what is the best final destination for the items in that bag?" although your angle might be "Oi! Get off my stuff and away from my property!" because you say he's scary. Or maybe because you are overly suspicious.

Lots of maybes, largely because you have not actually spoken to him about it.Yet.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

....aaaaaand
    Second Interpretation-
    "eeeeew!"

WJClarkson and lindenlea like this.
  7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Wot? Weeing on them??

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I thought "going physical" meant that he was using them for weight-lifting practice. :(

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Me hears Olivia Newton-John.....

Do hope it isn't the 3rd interpretation of 'physical" :eek:

install likes this.
  10. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Why not just ask what they're doing in a pleasant friendly way, maybe they don't understand you feel uncomfortable?

install likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

???

install and border_walker like this.
  12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Same here.

Dragonlady30 and install like this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Next time they come ssk them is everything ok and if there is a problem you can help with. And if it continues, buy a security camera
    :)

14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Stop putting the bags out?
    I don't quite undeerstand exactly what the neighbour is doing, but it clearly causes you concern, so remove the opportunity.
    I am reminded of the students who used to say "When I go to the library at lunchtime, Hannah is rude to me." So don't go to the library then.
    Have you been there for a while? Is the neighbour new? What experiences do others nearby have of him/her?
    There's a big difference between the neighbour going through the bags to see if there is anything worth having and a neigh bour p***ing on them. On indicates a possible lack of funds, the other a possible lack of sanity...

Jamvic, InkyP and Dunteachin like this.
  15. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Still waiting for O_live to confirm what going physical is. I hope that the neighbour hasn't moved on to get physical with her/him and wrapped them inside a charity bag!!

InkyP and mothorchid like this.
  16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes, I would really like @O_live to come back. I'm quite concerned about him/her.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Third interpretation-
    WUT

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'm still waiting for a translation.

Sorry, OP.

I don't understand your banter!

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

What the O P needs to realise is that the vast majority of people are massively incompetent and will get under your feet and disturb your peace with their chaotic lifestyles.

I've just had it again with my neighbour. Last night he came round to borrow my wheelbarrow because he had a load of logs coming this morning. I dropped the wheelbarrow round and thought about giving him some gloves (which I buy in bulk) but decided against it because it would only further complicate matters.

Of course, he's made a complete hash of cutting his hawthorn hedge and not swept up correctly and now he's returned the wheelbarrow around the back of the house to avoid seeing me and I've found an hawthorn thorn in the tyre meaning it is punctured.

So that's another hour's work getting the wheel off and repairing the puncture. These people are complete ******** and shouldn't try to run a house when they are blatantly incapable of doing so.

I've had that wheelbarrow for over ten years and never had a puncture because I'm tidy and organised.

I've never yet had a neighbour who was anything but hassle to me.

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You underestimate the ability of these bags to take a punch. They are no doubt using the Muhammed Ali 'rope a dope' tactic and letting the neighbour punch himself out.