1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird names

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Inclined to use full names for attention, year-on-year blank stares now tell me I am wrong to expect traditional nomenclature to hold such that Charlotte is shortened to Charlie, that Alfred is shortened to Alfie &c.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:D Thanks VeeInce. pmsl

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

But the thing is that many of those kids weren't given the "proper" name to begin with: the Alfies, the Reggies, the Sids and the Charlies are just that. (Or is that the point you are making?)

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Oh, darn! I just got a message saying "the uploader has not made this video available in your country"
    :(

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I found this clip upsetting. I wanted to punch the teacher for being so abusive and full of himself.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

You're welcome, Ky-bo-shay.

kibosh likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Spot on.

9. Vince_Ulam

Try this link.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm guessing there's a uniquely American humour subtext to the video clip, whereby African American Inner City communities have a unique take on name pronunciation that doesn't quite work with the largely white class that the substitute (ie supply) teacher is trying to register. Hence the African American student at the end answers his name right away :)

kibosh likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think Vaaance makes a good point.

I struggle with a couple of girls names in my classes, mostly of Irish extraction [the names]... I try my best but they seem to insist I place an emphasis on different syllables than I do. I will break them though.

kibosh likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On the subject of weird names, first time my wife saw my user name on here she thought it was Greek.

Eye-anokia.

not La-nokia.

13. Vince_Ulam

I selected the video as a caricature but I expect that many students do experience this bemusement at my traditional expectations.

As for Ebonic names, apparently there is a grammar:

'For girls, Ebonics names typically follow the pattern of three syllables with the stress on the second vowel. This may be accomplished by adding a prefix to a mainstream, two-syllable name, or by inventing a name from scratch. Less commonly, a two-syllable name is made by adding a syllable to the ending "-elle."

For boys, Ebonics names are often names formerly popular with whites. Otherwise, they are two syllable names with the stress on the second syllable. This pattern can be achieved by adding a prefix to a single-syllable mainstream name, or by inventing a name by combining two syllables. As with girls, a boy's name can also be formed with the "-el" (notice masculine spelling) ending.

Invented Ebonics names often begin with the syllables La/Le, Da/De, or Sha/She.
    '

(UrbanDictionary.com, 17th May 2005.)

I have no objection to any child's name, of course, but I wonder whether apparently trivial shifts in popular culture like this signify anything other than fashion.

14. Vince_Ulam

<Snort> You have a girl's name!

kibosh likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I am LaNokia...

LaTanya? Ebonics passed me by.

16. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

When others shortened your name, I thought it was Ian - as in IAN!

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Hi French, female, mobile phone.
    Must make me LaPinrosee.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I thought that too for ages, except I'm not clever enough to think it was Greek.

lanokia likes this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Why should it be Greek anyway?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For my wife it was like Ayia Napa...

Eye-anokia.