1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird interview or what?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Lil_Miss_Wonderful, May 10, 2012.

1. Just thought I'd share my recent experience with you all. Weird isn't the word. I felt like I was in a parallel universe where professionalism obviously means something totally different.

Arrived 10 mins early, sat quietly flicking through a magazine in reception. Suddenly a woman plopped herself down in the chair opposite me, proceeded to fan herself vigorously and say how hellish the day was. I think she was in the throes of a hot flush. Could be wrong. Eventually she said her job was to welcome me and make sure I was relaxed and not anxious about the interview. Hmmm....if I wasn't anxious before I was starting to feel a little bit by now. She was making me twitch with her antics and she was just a little bit.....manic!!

Anyway, she took me to a side room to where the interview would take place. Sat me down at a table, offered me tea and biscuits (how nice) and left me with a blank sheet of paper while she disappeared for a few minutes.

Returned with tea and biscuits, and another piece of paper. On it was a list of 6 topics from which I had to choose any one. I then had 20 mins to prepare a lesson plan, a 10 minute micro teach and an activity. I had not been prepared to expect this having simply been told that I did not need to bring any prepared lesson with me.

So, after 5 mins of dithering, I got down to it. Made my choice, did a rough lesson plan / micro teach and activity...JUST!

She opened the door no less than 3 times in those 20 minutes to ask ..."Are you OKaaaay?" I think the withering glare I gave her on the third occasion must have done the trick. She didn't come back until the 20 minutes were over.

Eventually, went into the room next door where the panel of three I had been led to expect were infact 6. I was left standing at the front of the room while 1 panel member visited the loo...then another thought, good idea and followed them. In the meantime, two new faces appeared at the door and asked 'What's going on in here then?
    'Oh just another interview' said the head, 'Want to sit in?'

By now I was slack jawed and having passed through various stages of astonishment, frustration and irritation I was rapidly approaching sheer anger.

Once everyone had eventually taken their seats, I started by asking if this panel was the same panel that had sat for all the previous interviews. Bold maybe but was I wrong to be amazed when the head calmly and evenly looked me in the eye and stated YES it certainly was. Continue please.

Anyway, it went OK and micro teach over, I was thanked. The head then told me that the next stage would involve a little 'circle time' - did I mention that this was for FE?

We all (9 of us) sat in a circle and I was asked 14...yes 14 questions.

I finally left after an hour and a half but not before being asked what I had thought of the interview. By now I was barely capable of speech so merely said that it had 'been different' to which they all roared and fell about as though they'd been drinking.

I heard a few days later that I didn't get the job. Feedback revealed that they didn't feel I had been sufficiently engaged in the process. My turn to roar with laughter. I felt like giving them a little feedback.

Never had an interview like it before and never want one like it again. They were just plain weird from start to finish.

Has anyone else ever had a weird interview? Please tell me I'm not alone.

2. Just thought I'd share my recent experience with you all. Weird isn't the word. I felt like I was in a parallel universe where professionalism obviously means something totally different.

Arrived 10 mins early, sat quietly flicking through a magazine in reception. Suddenly a woman plopped herself down in the chair opposite me, proceeded to fan herself vigorously and say how hellish the day was. I think she was in the throes of a hot flush. Could be wrong. Eventually she said her job was to welcome me and make sure I was relaxed and not anxious about the interview. Hmmm....if I wasn't anxious before I was starting to feel a little bit by now. She was making me twitch with her antics and she was just a little bit.....manic!!

Anyway, she took me to a side room to where the interview would take place. Sat me down at a table, offered me tea and biscuits (how nice) and left me with a blank sheet of paper while she disappeared for a few minutes.

Returned with tea and biscuits, and another piece of paper. On it was a list of 6 topics from which I had to choose any one. I then had 20 mins to prepare a lesson plan, a 10 minute micro teach and an activity. I had not been prepared to expect this having simply been told that I did not need to bring any prepared lesson with me.

So, after 5 mins of dithering, I got down to it. Made my choice, did a rough lesson plan / micro teach and activity...JUST!

She opened the door no less than 3 times in those 20 minutes to ask ..."Are you OKaaaay?" I think the withering glare I gave her on the third occasion must have done the trick. She didn't come back until the 20 minutes were over.

Eventually, went into the room next door where the panel of three I had been led to expect were infact 6. I was left standing at the front of the room while 1 panel member visited the loo...then another thought, good idea and followed them. In the meantime, two new faces appeared at the door and asked 'What's going on in here then?
    'Oh just another interview' said the head, 'Want to sit in?'

By now I was slack jawed and having passed through various stages of astonishment, frustration and irritation I was rapidly approaching sheer anger.

Once everyone had eventually taken their seats, I started by asking if this panel was the same panel that had sat for all the previous interviews. Bold maybe but was I wrong to be amazed when the head calmly and evenly looked me in the eye and stated YES it certainly was. Continue please.

Anyway, it went OK and micro teach over, I was thanked. The head then told me that the next stage would involve a little 'circle time' - did I mention that this was for FE?

We all (9 of us) sat in a circle and I was asked 14...yes 14 questions.

I finally left after an hour and a half but not before being asked what I had thought of the interview. By now I was barely capable of speech so merely said that it had 'been different' to which they all roared and fell about as though they'd been drinking.

I heard a few days later that I didn't get the job. Feedback revealed that they didn't feel I had been sufficiently engaged in the process. My turn to roar with laughter. I felt like giving them a little feedback.

Never had an interview like it before and never want one like it again. They were just plain weird from start to finish.

Has anyone else ever had a weird interview? Please tell me I'm not alone.

3. As a person who has been through many different FE interviews (good and bad) and been on the panel giving them in the past 15 years, your experience is horrific and very unprofessional. Although HR procedures including interviews go through trends and what to expect can change, the interviewee should always know what to expect so they can prepare to put their best foot forward. If it was as bad as you say, you really don't want to work for them anyway.

4. I think you should!

5. Sounds like you have just had a lucky escape.It sounds very unprofessional and the idea that as many as six of them were happy to participate in such a farce is horrific.

My recent interview for my current post was conducted by two people in a pleasant, professional manner. It confirmed a very positive impression of the institution.

Hope you have better luck next time.

ps I hope at least one of them reads this thread!

6. I had a strange interview for the job I'm in now (long time ago), most of the detrails escape me now but the strangest interview experience of all was when I was on a panel interviewing for new staff. I was supposed to give a guided tour to each candidate during a break and one of them said that he didn't want a tour but to go for a ciggie instead. No amount of persuasion from me worked. So, in the smoking shelter and this chap made some seriously suggestive comments which left me feeling entirely yukky. Strangely enough (!), that was the one my bosses decided to employ and I had to work with him. No good. (and yes, I did tell the other members of the panel)

7. Gosh I've had a good giggle. Who was the College???

8. Debiyt, she cannot say that or she could be sued for libel. Also this is not a giggle, it is a extremely serious case of malpractice and unprofessionalism.

9. You're right...I did have a lucky escape. Can you imagine working for people like that? **Shudders*

And No! I'm certainly not going to name them in a public forum lol....but it struck me afterwards that they might recognise the scenario if they read the post. Maybe I should have waited a while before posting. Ah well. If they do read it I hope they feel at least a tiny bit uncomfortable.

Glad it gave you a giggle Debity. I've laughed at it too now that it's behind me.

On the upside, I have another interview shortly and am focusing on that.

Thanks for your comments.

LMW

10. Lil Miss you have to laugh put it down to bad experience. In fact, they did you a favor but, my concern is how they interview for a new cohort Ohh

11. Oh oh oh Debyt is very dry...

12. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Shoddy and cavalier -making it up as they go along. Had a similar experience, where all other candidates sitting outside and could hear my interview. Amateurs and you're better off away from places like that!

13. More trollop from the i-a-big-OFSTED-fan! Ha.

14. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Meaning what exactly?