1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird experience

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cathr, Dec 5, 2019.

1. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

A couple of days ago, I was contacted by a recruitment agency who had obviously fished my CV out of the pool that floats somewhere in the cloud (I did put my CV there many moons ago). Sheer luck that I saw the email as it had fallen into junk.
    Agent was looking for a language teacher for a good school in a part of the country where there is, apparently, a desperate lack of us. Would I relocate? And yes, I was prepared to relocate for a contract no less than 6 months preferably permanent. I was not prepared to attend a meeting/ interview for a temporary position. Agent quickly gets back to me with an appointment to meet the deputy head with the assurance that he had told the school about my requirements.
    So I notify my supply agencies that I wont be available for the day (-£130) and motor south (-£30+) to attend said meeting. The school is lovely but the deputy head is not there (a sudden family tragedy) and I meet the head. Strangely, there are no questions about my qualifications, experience or teaching methods, just an explanation of the dire circumstances the school finds itself in with no one in place for January. I would be payed at agency rates for some 12 weeks after which, should we mutually be happy with the situation, a permanent post may be available. NO support with temporary accommodation. No certainty about the long term.
    Who would take such a risk? How did that head think I was going to survive on agency rates, having to pay rent for our home and rent for temporary accommodation??? Who would relocate and potentially find themselves stranded without a job and a double rent?

Was this just bad planning on the part fo the school or a deliberate move to find an emergency solution for the school while totally disregarding a colleague's welfare? I hope it is the former as I am otherwise starting to despair of the cynicism of our society.

2. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole. Blame the agency.

JohnJCazorla and afterdark like this.
  3. cathr

I have offered my thanks to the school for the visit and politely refused the assignment ….
    I had made it very clear to the agent that I was only interested in a minimum 6 months post and explained the financial impact of attending the meeting. I was repeatedly assured that that message had been passed on to the school.
    Whether the school or the agency (randstad), I was encouraged to attend this meeting when someone knew that it didn't correspond to my requirements. As I said earlier, cynical.

4. ITrunaway

ITrunaway New commenter

It's almost certainty the agency who are lying. As you say they fished your CV or of the cloud. They don't care, they just want to bag the placement fee and move on.

MathMan1, speechcompanyinfo and cathr like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Had similar things-sent to a interview hours away, having said I'd only consider if X were to be a condition (should the school think I was ideal for them). Did interview, head liked me, then said only Y was available. She also said that the agency had sent other teachers, who, like me, had certain minimum requirements regarding length of post etc-and it had wasted her time as she had interviewed people who would not accept her terms; she was not happy with the agency! I was very annoyed and asked agency to pay travelling fees, and explained that this head would probably not be willing to use *** agency again; if I were her, I wouldn't! I would have tried to take him to the small claims, just on principle to stop him treating other supply teachers badly, but I'd nothing in writing, and I got a permanent job the following month.

JohnJCazorla and cathr like this.
  6. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

It's the agency. They don't care about anything but their profit. Your situation does not figure in their calculations. Agencies will say absolutely anything to anyone. They will not have passed on anything you said to the school.
    When I was a supply teacher, I made a point of phoning the school directly once the appointment was made to check if the circumstances were appropriate. The agencies hated me cutting them out of the loop, and more than once I had to explain that they couldn't tell me not to do it.
    Agencies are not to be trusted under any circumstances. Look after your own interests cos they will not.

7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Though I also think that agencies are parasites who would throw you under a bus if they could see a penny-worth of profit in it there could be other parties to blame. Quite often the only point of contact between the school and agency is the harassed Cover Organiser and she is always too busy and ill-informed to be able to give any assurances that can be believed. How she can liaise with both HoD and SLT on a matter that they could well have conflicting views over is beyond me (and her) and the chance that all relevant parties could discuss this matter is impossible.

With most school foul-ups I always err on the ****-up side of the ****-up/conspiracy debate. Not that such semantics matter in the face of what has happened to the OP.

8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

What a great idea. Wish I'd thought to do that.

My solution to this inevitable problem is to wait until I'm at the school and my immediate priority is to identify the Organ Grinders and Monkeys and then machinate accordingly. But this is at best a week behind you.

How did you manage to do this with not knowing the school and most communication (email or phone) unlikely to reach the people you want?

9. cathr

I definitely should have done that. The agent, if he is the culprit, was very clever in discouraging me from calling. He said I could get the wrong impression over the phone. 64 years old and I fell for that! But what a shame that, in this world, we have to distrust everything people say... No political point being made of course! ;)

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  10. cathr

Does anyone know how to rename the thread so that the title becomes a warning to others?

11. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

The agency has to tell you who you are going to meet. I will always just ring up the front desk and ask for them. If they aren't available, I leave my number / keep bugging them until I get to speak to them.
    My policy of assuming all agencies are lying weasels has stood me in good stead over the years. Saved me a lot of missed days and wasted petrol. It also had the pleasing side effect of annoying the hell out of the liars.