1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weird Encounters

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Serdinya, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Back in the late seventies, I was travelling into London by train, alone, in a non-corridor carriage. At one stop a bloke entered the compartment. He sat down directly opposite me and, as the train pulled out of the station, announced loudly "They've let me out without my pills today". He then leant forward and silently stared at me.
    My stop was only 5 minutes away - but it seemed like an age.
    Anyone else had a weird encounter?

2. Back in the late seventies, I was travelling into London by train, alone, in a non-corridor carriage. At one stop a bloke entered the compartment. He sat down directly opposite me and, as the train pulled out of the station, announced loudly "They've let me out without my pills today". He then leant forward and silently stared at me.
    My stop was only 5 minutes away - but it seemed like an age.
    Anyone else had a weird encounter?

3. Yes. As a teenager, I used to go up Kinnoull Hill in Perthshire, to draw (it's a deeply wooded hill, popular with hikers and dog-walkers) There are a few old follies on the crest of the hill, and I was sitting near one of those, when a well-known Perth vagrant appeared out of nowhere and sat down beside me for a chat. I was frozen with fear (which I feel bad about now, but as teenagers, we're generally shallow and easily mortified, aren't we?)
    I remember him saying, 'You have very small feet'.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Travelling on an InterCity train between Luton and Harpendon many moons ago I was staring idly out of the window and saw someone standing on one of those grey electricity junction boxes at the side of the track. Nothing unusual about that you might think, except he was stark naked.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

There was the time when a man exposed himself to me in the centre aisle of St James' church, Picaddilly. I was very young and new to London and, even then, cursed - or blessed - with poor eyesight. I thought he was fiddling with his camera until I passed him. He said sorry as I went by. He looked like an affluent Spanish/Italian tourist, with a trench coat and all the trimmings.

That was in 1976.

I'll spare you the details of my other flasher experience, even though the humour of it depended even more on my poor eyesight.

My father was once having a pefectly normal conversation with a man at New Street Station, Brum, when the man casually let him know that he was Charles Dickens.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I picked up a hitch hiker while I was driving a pick up. He insisted he wanted to travel in the back and 'Rommel'. Fair enough. He stood in the back grasped the roll bar and did a nazi salute through three junctions. I dropped him off and thanked him. I knew I was going to be laughing about it for years.

7. I was once walking through the middle of my home town in the 1970's when a middle aged man walking towards me squeezed my bosoms and simply carried on walking.
    I was only in my late teens and was too shocked to say anything. To this day I wonder how many other young girls he did this too. Mind you if he did it to me now he would get more than he bargained for. I'm middle aged and menopausal and not to be messed with!!