1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weinstein

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, Dec 12, 2019.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50755113

Open jawed disbelief at this.

He has agreed in principle to $25 million dollar settlement with all accusers.
    His total liability for all cases against him is $25 million.
    Chicken feed to him. The best part is that his insurance will be settling the bill. Not him personally, his insurance company.

Criminal charges are still ongoing and trials ensue.

$250 million might seem more fitting.

frangipani123 likes this.
  2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Some people have no conscience. :(

frangipani123 and Laphroig like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It would appear to be conditional upon their complaints against him being dropped so he doesn't face a life sentence in jail too:
    • The plaintiffs in the case would share in the payout, as could others who join the suit
    • It is a global deal that would end almost all related civil lawsuits against Mr Weinstein and his previous employer
    • Mr Weinstein would not pay personally, the sum would come from insurance firms representing the Weinstein Company
    • Mr Weinstein would not admit wrongdoing
    So basically these ladies are negotiating the price of changing Harvey's despicable behaviour into something that they don't wish to complain about (or see him held responsible for). Isn't there a very old name for that, or am I being too simplistic here?

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Simplistic? An old name? Really? I can only imagine how difficult it is to pursue someone like Harvey Weinstein and the pressures on you not to do it. Some have said that the system is broken, and it certainly seems that way to me. '

There is still criminal action starting on 6 January for rape and performing a forcible sex act on a woman.

The sight of him shuffling into court reminded me of Alan Bond and his act on attending court. Both despicable men.

lindenlea, Laphroig and Jamvic like this.
  5. magic surf bus

So the message that comes out of a $25m settlement that absolves him of all responsibility and personal loss is that bloated rich powerful men can do it and get away with it as long as their lawyers can negotiate an agreeable price afterwards?

By all means take any damages that are due, but not on condition that he takes no blame and his company suffers no losses. What were those women's lawyers thinking (beyond their fees)? They should have wiped the floor with him.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

And unfortunately it also propagates the myth that women habitually lie about being raped in order to benefit financially.

magic surf bus likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm astonished at the insurance. I'm sure there's some weaselly excuses to make it sound like something else, but it seems to amount to being able to take out insurance against the effects of committing criminal acts including fines and being sent to prison. Something that surely shouldn't in itself be legal?

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You can't insure against "the effects of committing criminal acts including fines and being sent to prison" in the UK and I'm pretty sure you can't in the USA either. This is settling civil claims I assume.

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Let's say that in the 90s, a woman worked for a man who made it clear she'd get promotion for certain things. Shre refuses. Another, less qualified, woman gets the promotion. She then enjoys her job and all te benefits that come with it, and never tries to help the woman who refused to compromise herself. Many years later, she cries foul, and accepts a large compensation package-but still does nothing to help the woman who deserved the promotion. Apart from the level of fame, what is the difference?

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

the fact that he’s not accused of propositioning women for sexual favours in return for promotions, but rather raping or sexually assaulting them and silencing them with payoffs, intimidation, and threats that he will ruin their career.

That you frame the accusers as women who consented to a quid pro quo sexual arrangement then decided retrospectively to renege on that agreement, rather than women who allege non-consensual assaults, and describe the woman who refused the advances as not being willing to ‘compromise herself’ rather than someone who was lucky enough not to be assaulted, is very telling.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He still faces criminal charges.

He's not "got away" with anything... and good.

lindenlea likes this.
  12. moscowbore

I beg to differ, he is getting away with lots. No personal costs for committing crimes is a crime itself.

Half of the payout goes to the lawyers. Half.

My hope is that some of the women refuse to agree to the settlement. I would like to see him in court facing the civil suits.
    There was a suggestion yesterday that he would declare himself bankrupt if any of the women do not agree to the deal and then there will be no payout at all. Despicable.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

He can't declare himself bankrupt unless he actually is! Not unless US law is very different to UK law.

14. moscowbore

I think the pitch was that if the settlement was any bigger the insurance companies would not pay out and he would be personally liable and that would make him bankrupt.

In any case, I suspect his money has been squirreled away to keep it out of reach of any settlement.

lindenlea likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

Maybe his bogus zimmer frame is stuffed with diamonds?