1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

weighty issue?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by someonelikeme, May 1, 2011.

1. i tried to post this on opinion too but the moderating msg came up so thought i'd try here...

Something was said to me yesterday by a person who I respect and value their opinion. Its been on my mind every since and is really bugging me hence why I have come on here to ask other people's opinions (this is a genuine post, I am a regular on tes but have signed with a new log in as people offline know who I am with my normal username).

Ok so, a bit of background - I am a supply teacher completed nqt year last year, have applied for 8 jobs and had 6 interviews since and haven't been successful yet, when asking for feedback I've not been given much to go on apart from the first one which said I was very nervous, the others have been that I interviewed well, had a great lesson but there was only one post and they chose the other person. I've been content enough with this as I know how tough the job market is just now. That is until yesterday when this person suggested that the reason I may not be successful in gaining a job is due to my weight. I am 5'3, 15st 10, and size 18.. yes I know its not good for my health etc despite my size I am very active and have recent experience of playing/coaching netball, but its the binge eating sugar/fastfood etc that lets me down (though in school I eat very healthily salads, water, fruit etc.. Its at home when I do it, though that is a whole other post entirely.

What I wanted to ask is if you had the choice of two candidates - both equal in terms of experience, qualifications, interview & lesson etc with the only difference being in terms of their weight/ shape. Would you choose the thinner of the two? or would that not even come into your head?...

I'm aware of how brutal posters can be on opinion, honest replies/ thoughts/ experience would be most welcome, thanks.

on safari so assuming there will be no lovely paragraphs.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I don't think it would even enter the equation for me unless the position was for a PE teacher.

3. Personally, from experience of training people, I'd go by everything you said re experience, interview etc and personality. Even when people are very similar they are also very different - iyswim. Generally first impressions count irrelevant of size, but on how you handle your position when first greeted. BUT that isn't to say there aren't biased people out there but just remember there is a huge amount of competition. Sorry if that doesn't help. :)

4. autumnleaf2

autumnleaf2 New commenter

I have a family member about your size and weight, she has experienced out and out prejudice such as people shouting from car windows and strangers lecturing her when she eats in public. I'd hope teachers would be a but more sensitive.
    I think all else being completely equal it might not go in your favour but all things are rarely totally equal, so I'm sure it's not, you probably look lovely. Just make sure you look smart, grooming is most important (am sure you do!)

5. If you are happy and confident, you will portray that.
    If you are not you will not.
    It has *** all do do with being overweight, I was underweight for years.
    And now I am overweight and folk tell me I exude happiness.
    I can live with that.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I do think it has an influence, I don't think it is fair, but yes it probably makes a difference.
    Why are newsreaders so handsome/pretty?

7. They are forced to be slim and handsome?
    Is my opinion important to you, in any way, without knowing the siye of my waist?

8. lurk_much

I am not defending prejudice, just acknowledging its existence.

9. Yes, but without knowing what I look like, do you think I am thick or do I challenge you or do you think I have something to say which sometimes makes you think?

10. lurk_much

I sometimes think you are barking mad but your waist size has little impact on my opinion.
    [​IMG]

For example this thread. You are choosing to bring your totally irrelevant personal mystery into the OPs search for work and lack of success at interview. And if I may be so bold, in an aggressive and possibly insulting way.

11. autumnleaf2

You're right lurk much, I think it's because largeness is associated with laziness/greed. The thing is celticqueen and I'm not being horrible to the OP here, I'm sure she looks lovely and pretty, but we're not just talking people who are a bit bigger than they'd like by a stone or two, it's people who are very obviously big and some people in some situations are prejudiced to that, it's pointless to say otherwise but that doesn't mean it's right, it isn't, but it does happen.

12. lurk_much

I don't know if obesity has day to day impact on attendance/sickness but from a strategic pov it may be a good employment choice because it is projected to reduce pension liabilities.

13. autumnleaf2

14. Thanks for everyones replies so far, I wasn't expecting a definite yes/no, just really interested to here what others thought.

lurk much, not sure about other teachers who are obese (argh can't believe I have used that word to describe me!) but I haven't had a day off in my short teaching career, or in the 7yrs I worked part time prior to entering teaching, though I guess I would only really be classed as 'obese' from when I begun my pgde until now.

15. hear not here

16. Hmm as someone who as been a similar size to you, I found that the biggest change as I lost weight was my own confidence in my appearance.
    If your weight affects your confidence and how you come across then THAT might have a negative impact on your job success far more than your weight itself.
    I have come across plenty of overweight teachers - in fact most teachers I meet are bigger than I am now.

17. Thanks Robsia, you are right my confidence is very low in terms of my appearance/ having a partner etc.. but teaching is the one thing that I know I am good at and I put a lot of time into improving.. someone mentioned earlier about how the view of overweight people is that they are lazy, I can fully appreciate this, although its horrible to say now but a few years ago I'm ashamed to say I thought the same on occasion.. thought now being on the otherside so to speak I know that this is not the case.

18. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I doubt it would be a deciding factor for me if there was little difference in ability etc. I'd choose the one who seemed most cheerful lol... and maybe if you're feeling self concious that might not have been you? x

19. would you be able to teach PE as well as someone 'slimmer?' It is part of the primary curriculum.
    Would you be up if you are in KS1 are you able to get up and down on the carpet easily to work with the smaller ones?
    These questions would be going through my mind. Would you be able to get around the large school quickly which is required in my school.
    Just some quick thoughts.

20. I am secondary not primary, though a good point. As I said previously I am active, I can play a full game of netball (1hr), and have no issues getting up and down stairs etc.. its not that its affecting my mobility though I can see how some people may think that it would for someone overweight. I have put my extracurricular things eg. netball on my form and it is also in my references, not that makes any difference to this thread, just thought i'd add it in.