1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weighting of KS2 science strands?!?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vmarsden, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Does anyone know the exact weighting of science strands? Is it something like 50% for SC1? I'm really unsure and have tried looking in the NC but nothing there!
    Thanks - Vix

2. A quick and easy google search reveals all:
    Science
    The science attainment targets are weighted as follows:
    ?? scientific enquiry (Sc1) 2
    ?? life processes and living things (Sc2) 1
    ??materials and their properties (Sc3) 1
    ??physical processes (Sc4) 1
    The following example shows how to use these weightings to calculate a pupil’s overall
    subject level for science.
    To calculate the subject level for this pupil, add up column (c) and divide the total by the
    total of column (b), ie 23 ÷ 5 = 4.6. Round to the nearest whole number for the overall
    subject level. This pupil has attained level 5 for science.
    Attainment target
    (a)
    Level
    (b)
    Weighting
    (c) Level x
    weighting
    Scientific enquiry (Sc1) 5 2 10
    Life processes and living things (Sc2) 5 1 5
    Materials and their properties (Sc3) 4 1 4
    Physical processes (Sc4) 4 1 4
    Total 5 23
    taken from: http://www.qcda.gov.uk/resources/assets/Key_Stage_2_Assessment_and_Reporting_Arrangements.pdf p19

3. Thank you - I tried many google searches, but I only got the elements that need to be taught everytime!
    I'm taking that as:
    40% SC1
    20% for each of SC2, SC3 and SC4.

Thanks again! Vix

4. It is clearer to read if you go to link and look at doc - couldn't maintain formatting when pasting!
    [and weighting is not same as percentages - there is a worked example in the doc]