1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weight watchers new thingy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Can anybody tell me the gist of this please? More fruit less counting of points is that the idea?
    Can't face another Peter Kay type fat club but I might try online.

2. I'm not happy with it. I only lose weight if I eat 22 of my 29 points and don't touch any of the 49. I'm going to find all my old stuff and go back to the old points system.
    It's ridiculous to zero-rate fruit. It's just a people-pleaser.
    Other people are a bit doubtful too -
    http://community.weightwatchers.co.uk/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?threadID=1015649

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I've stuck with the old points as they work for me. If it ain't broke...

4. Like you Lily I feel 22 is about right and not touching the 49. The free fruit idea is a baddy; I could eat 10 bananas everyday and wonder why I wasn't losing any weight!!

5. I was told that the zero points for fruit is because they only expect you to eat one portion (ie 1 banana etc) a day, and if you go over that you have to count the points, however how are you supposed to count the points on the online system if it is zero? - if you put in 10 portions its still zero...
    Its winding me up at the moment, as I did the old one a few years ago, was never hungry and didnt even bother to count the alcohol, and <u>still</u> lost at least a couple of pounds each week, whereas I've lost barely nothing for the last two weeks AND I'm hungry a lot.
    Not convinced...

6. I eat all my 34

I minimise my use of the 49

I eat plenty of fruit

I am losing approx 1.5 lbs per week on average

7. I was quite pleased to find that thread on their message board. I've been variously blaming my thyroxine dosage and coming off HRT for the very slow weight loss despite the tiny intake of food (I'm not a huge fan of fruit anyway) and increased exercise but others are not impressed either.
    Apparently WW has been asked about it but insist it's the most brilliant idea in the Universe.

8. I'm not sure about it either. Because I'm so fat I'm allowed 36 points a day and eating my usual WW recipes and snacks and things means I can't manage it each day. I'm worried if I do eat the proper amount of points I'll gain.
    On the other hand, I've lost 13.5 lbs in 6 weeks and haven't felt hungry or deprived of anything.

My leader says you shouldn;t think of fruit as "free" as it obviously has calories and if you eat an excessive amount of fruit it'll add up. A woman in my class blames fruit for her gaining weight - I was a bit skeptical, until she said she'd been eating 8 bananas. A day. That's right, 8 a day. I think she probably needed a poo.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

10. There are 100 Kcals in a peeled banana. 8 of those corresponds to 20 points in straight calorie terms (taking 40 cals as an average WW point - it used to be 70). I would still have room for a square meal even after them without touching the 49 weekly!
    But the point is, if they're "free", you are logging up a lot of calories on top of your points.