1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weight Loss Thread 2011

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Richie Millions, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Simple, eat less exercise mores

2. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Yes please! I've put on weight over Christmas, and I needed to lose some before that [​IMG] I reckon three stone would take me back to pre-baby weight. Evenings are my worst time, because that's when I pick at things. Could do with some moral support...

3. Hi

Have just joined a similar thread on the Health and Well Being forum - last year's thread seems to still be there! I think I joined last year's but didn't keep it up for long!
    Good luck

4. Is it ok for me to join too?
    Realistically I need to lose just over 5 stone. Taking it one step at a time though. I am hoping that having just bought a puppy I'll get him out walking in about 2 weeks once he's had his final injection, so hoping that'll help!!
    Any and all moral support/motivation truly welcome.

5. Good luck notmeanymore. The puppy sounds like he will get you out and about!
    Id love a dog for some company when walking but we dont have the time or capacity for one - I do wish my OH had a bit more motivation when it comes to exercise, or my friends lived closer, as its so much easier when you have someone else to do it with.
    Im umming and ahhing about whether to just throw out the remaining chocs and biscuits, or to eat them over the next few days and start the healthy eating plan next week some time.

6. Does anyone know of any websites where you can register and track weight loss/get recipe ideas etc for free?
    I like the idea of signing on to something regularly but all the sites ive found seem very expensive!

7. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I used to belong to the Tesco Diets site (about £7.50 a month), and at the beginning I was quite motivated. I liked the graph that showed weight loss, and there were some good recipe ideas (plus shopping list!). Might start it up again...

8. WW is £10.95 a month, cheaper if you pay for 3 months at a time

£19.99 if you want to include meetings

I am looking to return next week ... so I have just re-registeres with the site

Tracks food/points and exercise as well as weight ... with recipes and ideas

9. Oh and, I need to lose at least 4 st but I am a st lighter than this time last year

10. Well done resourcefinder - keeping a stone off is a huge achievement.
    Ive just signed up to the specialk website which seems to be free, has meal plans, weight tracker, little exercise vids and doesnt seem to be telling you to eat special k constantly!

11. The biggest loser uk website has a diet club where you can track weight loss on a graph, get recipe and exercise tips. It's £9.50 a month, but less if you pay quarterly or half-yearly.
    The programme starts up again on 10th January, so am hoping to get some inspiration from it as well. That's also my start date as it's when I go back to work. I plan to weigh myself and track my progress along with the contestants!!

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I started a similar thread in Jan 2009. Got lots of support and I personally lost over 2 stone. Much of it has stayed off but, naturally, have put on a little over Christmas.
    I found the key elements to losing weight were:
    1. Have at least 5 fruit and veg a day. Filling, niutritious and low in calories
    2. Eat regular meals
    3. Control portion sizes
    4. Exercise
    5 Alcohol in moderation
    The key to keeping it off is a real lifestyle change and adopting new earing patterns based on the above.
    I am lucky enough to have a gym at home, but since we moved in (Aug 2010) it has been used as a bit of a store room, so now my mission is to get the thing up and running ('scuse the pun!) and get in there 3 timesa week. It's not like I have to pay membership or get in my car and drive there!
    Also, when I did my thread we all shared recipes for healthy and tasty weight loss. Maybe we could do thid on this one. We also all posted our weight loss every Monday (I think).

13. This is the most important part. If you aren't ready and willing to make a total lifestyle change then you will not be successful. This is why so many people put weight back on after faddy diets like special K that aren't manageable in the long term. People will fall at the same hurdle as well if they are really successful on something like SW or WW and then think that they can stop and slip into old habits again.

14. http://foodfocus.co.uk/
    I use this to log what I eat, think there are boards on there too.
    I want to shift my xmas excess; I'm hoping getting back into my school routine will help me!
    Sam_Bow

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I could do with a kick up the old fat **** as weight is creeping back on. I lost 2 stone 10 years ago but am 10lbs up on preferred weight at present. If I don't deal with it I'll have to buy a whole new wardrobe and then that'll give me space for the next 10 lbs - I AM NOT GOING THERE!

16. I too use food focus. It is easy to use and free. You can make meals, the food database isn't bad at all!
    I've checked the exercise database and it too is fairly accurate (I checked it against good old McArdle Katch and Lacth, the exercsie physiologists bible).
    The graphs are great. It is a basic but very useable site.
    One other you could use is weightlossresources. It is a very comprehensive site, blogs, experts etc etc. You can trial it for free for 24 hours.
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/lostart.htm
    I might be persuaded to go back to it!

17. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

I need to lose weight - quite a lot really - and would welcome some advice.
    Are WW and SW worth it?
    What's the difference between the two?
    Thanks!
    RG

18. My friend went from a size 16 to a size 8 on SW and has stayed that way ever since. SW has free foods that you can eat lots of, Healthy extras that you should have each day and syns (fats) that you can have. I prefer it because it is the foundation of sensible healthy eating and helped me get back into that mindset after considerable time spent abusing my body with junk!
    WW works on points. Personally I couldn't handle having to work out points for everything all the time!

19. I can do the points but have twice put back on post ww

I did not get on with SW because of the list of things that you cannot eat .... a life without cheese is not worth living [​IMG]

20. You can eat cheese!