1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weight loss & exercising...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lillipad, Feb 27, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've been on weight watchers for a while now and lost half a stone... I wasn't massive but wanted to just shift that final bit of bulk... and i'm not quite at my goal yet... And I started exercising about a week ago - doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred which has some good reviews both from ww and other websites. However the scales have not budged since I started the dvd... I unfortunately didn't take measurements at the start as I have no tape measure... so have no way of knowing what the changes are, although I can now do a round of push ups on my knees which I couldn't do before and I am feeling a little bit tighter all over... Anyway i'm finding it very, very hard to stay motivated when the scales won't move and have read around about water weight when you first start... I suppose i'm asking whether my weight will start to decrease at some point soon... or if it will continue to stay the same? Ideally I suppose I should have reached my weight goal and then toned, but now i've started I don't want to stop....... thoughts please?

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've been on weight watchers for a while now and lost half a stone... I wasn't massive but wanted to just shift that final bit of bulk... and i'm not quite at my goal yet... And I started exercising about a week ago - doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred which has some good reviews both from ww and other websites. However the scales have not budged since I started the dvd... I unfortunately didn't take measurements at the start as I have no tape measure... so have no way of knowing what the changes are, although I can now do a round of push ups on my knees which I couldn't do before and I am feeling a little bit tighter all over... Anyway i'm finding it very, very hard to stay motivated when the scales won't move and have read around about water weight when you first start... I suppose i'm asking whether my weight will start to decrease at some point soon... or if it will continue to stay the same? Ideally I suppose I should have reached my weight goal and then toned, but now i've started I don't want to stop....... thoughts please?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've been exercising throughout doing weight watchers and it has definitely helped my weight shift more quickly.
    If you haven't been exercising before then initially you will convert fat to more dense muscle. That shouldn't stop you losing weight but I found that the impact of exercise tended to be at least a week later. That tighter feeling that you mention is a good sign.
    There is no reason not to be toning now, while you are getting to your weight goal. You don't want to reach goal, buy new clothes, then tone up and change shape.
    Congratulations on the half stone loss. Keep the exercise up and the rest will come off more quickly.

4. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

When I lost weight in the past then went to the gym to exercise, I found that I toned up and became even slimmer. Muscle weighs much more than fat I believe, so you can actually be thinner, but weigh more. Hope this makes sense!

5. Alice W.

Alice W. New commenter

Sorry, I sent the message again because the first time I was told it hadn't been sent!

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok well as long as there's hope it's going in the right direction i'll carry on! Hoping I might see a slight drop in my weight this week, bearing in mind I didn't exercise at all really before this... I know muscle weighs more but I won't be building up muscle that fast anyway, that's gonna take ageees! I guess I just need the motivation of seeing my weight and size go down!!

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Nooooooooo! It really doesn't. 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat both weigh the same!
    Building muscle won't happen too quickly for a woman because we are not built that way; we don't have the right hormones to build a significant amount of muscle.
    However, where fat is being lost and replaced with lean muscle, weight lost may be balanced out by weight gained through lean muscle. However, I think it's probaly pretty unlikely to have put on weight after exercise.
    It's probably more likely that if you are sticking to the diet and now adding exercise on top, it's going to take a little time for the body to get used to it. You are also possibly eating more if you are exercising because you are hungrier. Also, extra water taken on board when exercising and even dehydration immediately afterwards can make the body appear heavier.

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hey - if you're nearly at goal it will take ages, seriously! I am 9'4 and my goal is 8'12 and I've been at 9'4 for something like a month despite living off air and doing Zumba three times a week! It will come off but it may take a while!

9. I think the Horizon programme said that 'non-responders' have to rely on eating less to lose wait. having said that i think i need to watch it again as I did get a little confused!

10. Spot on Belle! [​IMG]

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You know what Manny.........I am going to do it.
    Got the title already and started the preface!
    It's going to take a long time but I will do it for sure.

12. Excellent! Lots of common sense, good science and plenty of humour, if I know you.
    I'll put my order in for a copy now. [​IMG]

13. Stop living my life when I'm not looking, Belle.

I run Myth Busters throughout all of my classes all year round - it REALLY irritates me that kids doing PE/sports science are fed such tripe!
    They can be very attached to some myths, one still drinks 2 litres of water every day, no more and no less! Drives me mad, juice doesn't count, caffeine is dehydrating, wet food doesn't count and it really doesn't matter how much/little exercise you do. Everyone needs 2 litres!
    Oh and I am overweight cos I have a slow metabolism! No, sweety I don't. Less than 0.1% of the UK population have that as a legitimate excuse. I am fat cos I eat too much and don't move enough!

I did like the idea that I might be a non responder though. That's an excuse I shall cling to for a while [​IMG]

14. BelleDuJour

I shall sign it for you Manny.
    I really am writing this book.

15. Good. I'd love a copy too!
    Or maybe a class set [​IMG]

16. Pobs I really do have a slow metabolism and i am big boned I think as well. I certainly don't believe the nonsense about chocolate being high in fat sugar and calories and all that lot. I am just unfortunate in my physiological make-up.

17. Do you think I might be a slow responder as well? I think I probably am...

18. BelleDuJour

Sorry, but another myth.
    Skeletons are all pretty similar, only varying according to the height of the person. So, a fat 5.8 person's skeleton is pretty much the same size as a thin 5'8 person's skeleton.
    Think I will have to add a chapter in my book on bones!
    Pobble and Manashee................this book will take some time but I have made a start. Think I might take my notebook on holibobs and write some in the sun!

19. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

I like the idea in that Horizon programme that you only need to exercise flat out for one minute x 3 a week. As I don't have an exercise bike I'm running on the spot as fast as I can. I lost loads of weight and want to keep it off so I will try this fitness-weight loss regime and see how it goes!

If you missed the programme there is info here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251

20. gorgy, Belle is right. Big boned is another one of those myths. Like black people can't swim cos their bones are more dense (another on for you Belle).
    I didn't mean to say no-one has a slow metabolism, hypothyroidism and the ageing affect do exist. But almost everyone who claims it to be true is mistaken. As an overwieght person my metabolism is actually 'faster' than average. It has to be to maintain supply for demand.
    But I need to do more research on the non responder science. I believe both Climber and I may be able to make use of it via HIT. So my heavy bag will take a quick pounding every now and then [​IMG] And Belle can use her Pilates machine for a high intensity full body workout 3 times a week with very, very slow movements.
    Actually I used to train like that, super slow sets. Thinking back at it I got much more of a physical response doing that rather than the low intensity high duration stuff I have been trying over the last couple of years (to absolutely no avail except for kicking in the CFS).