1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weeping graze right on hip bone!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by arbrighton, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I've had similar grazes following falling off a bike, on elbow and hip. If it is weeping, one of the 'faster healing' gel type plasters stuck on for a few days will stop it drying out and cracking.
    The area around it will be bruised, hence the pain. An ice pack may help, and also with the red puffiness. Arnica (cream or tablet) is one 'homeopathic' solution that apparently has some basis in reality, for reducing bruising.
    But you must make sure it is really clean. A dressing may help stop clothing sticking to it, if nothing else!

2. Has it turned into a two-inch-thick scab yet?
    If it's weeping, cover it at night or you will end up like me and my friction-burn coccyx: turn over in bed and you will find yourself glued to the sheet by the exudate and you'll rip the top off it trying to get it off.

3. Hello, I have got a dressing on otherwise my clothes will rub. It seeped through the dressing and is really weepy and sticky. Is this normal for a graze like this?

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

5. Thanks for the advice. Felt a bit out of sorts this morning and took my temp. It was 37.6, so not high but mine is usually a bit below 37. Am wondering if it is related to the graze? I have aired it out when at home and when I have been out I have been applying melolin dressings. It is slightly drier than it was but still no scab. The outside of it is also red. It also hurts but I think that's due to the location of it more than anything else.

6. Keep it moist you don't want it to scab ;)
    If it is red and you have a temp, you should let someone see it. Grass burns are very easily infected.
    You could even show it to your local pharmacist to take a quick look and they will tell you, if anyone else needs to see it.

7. Hello, Well it looks like it might be starting to heal but it is SO tight it's painful. I have been putting aloe vera gel on it (as recommended by pharmacist) but it is still really tight. There is a very red, slightly raised circle round it and a very very tight yellow scab in the middle. Everyone has been saying how sore it looks. Don't think it is infected as my temp has gone down, perhaps I was just a bit run down that day.

8. Hello,
    Managed to get to a walk in health centre today and they confirmed it is infected. Got a prescription for Fucidin antibiotic cream. If this doesn't work I have to get a prescription for antibiotic pills, but hopefully that wont' happen! Thanks for the advice everyone. x