1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weekly 'reflection tool' for Year 3 children - IDEAS?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by royboy_9, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hello! After my NQT year in Year 5, my mentor and I decided that, next year, I would initiate a weekly reflective tool for my class of Year 3s. This would enable them to reflect on what they have discovered, perhaps how they have been helpful/cooperative/respectful, and what they want to learn/improve upon.
    We threw some ideas around: an outline of a mirror with different sections in it; or an up arrow pointing in the direction of what they would like to accomplish next.
    For categories, we thought 3 might be best:
    i) something new I can do (or something I have learned)
    ii) something I could improve on / something I found challenging / something I want to do
    iii) something I did that was positive for the school/class (i.e. cooperate/held door open, etc)
    What the children write/draw in these reflections could influence future planning, such as if several children say they found the same thing difficult/want to go on to the same thing next.
    As of now I'm thinking it would be printed on a plain piece of A4 every week, and we'd glue it into a particular reflective journal every Friday afternoon after writing them.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience, pointers, or deeper guidance for me on this reflective tool. Thanks in advance!

2. Hello! After my NQT year in Year 5, my mentor and I decided that, next year, I would initiate a weekly reflective tool for my class of Year 3s. This would enable them to reflect on what they have discovered, perhaps how they have been helpful/cooperative/respectful, and what they want to learn/improve upon.
    We threw some ideas around: an outline of a mirror with different sections in it; or an up arrow pointing in the direction of what they would like to accomplish next.
    For categories, we thought 3 might be best:
    i) something new I can do (or something I have learned)
    ii) something I could improve on / something I found challenging / something I want to do
    iii) something I did that was positive for the school/class (i.e. cooperate/held door open, etc)
    What the children write/draw in these reflections could influence future planning, such as if several children say they found the same thing difficult/want to go on to the same thing next.
    As of now I'm thinking it would be printed on a plain piece of A4 every week, and we'd glue it into a particular reflective journal every Friday afternoon after writing them.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience, pointers, or deeper guidance for me on this reflective tool. Thanks in advance!

3. i saw this done in a school i did supply in and loved the odea. Stole one of the sheets and tucked it away, you've just reminded me about it. It had the same sort of ideas as you, i think there was a box of what they would do next week to improve on things.

Good idea - i might try it out this year!

4. Well I'm thrilled that you saw one and that you think it had potential. I'm really hoping it works well, too. I spent ages online today and couldn't find any existing ones for children, apart from reflecting on behaviour.
    When you do dig it out it would be great if you could tell us what was on it, and how it was organised!

5. Hi, I will also be doing this as of September with my year 3 class.
    My mentor suggested we attach things each day throughout the week on a learning tree. She has one of those table top umbrella-style photo holder things that she hangs pictures, notes, finished work, photos etc on and the children can come up and attach bits to it too. Then on a Friday morning during their Philosophy lesson, they sit around the tree and talk about the bits hanging off of it. They too discuss what they have learrnt, have they improved or developed anything, what they would like to explore further and who was a good learner/team player etc and why.
    She says it has proved a really beneficial tool this year and suggested I do the same. I am also coming to the end of my NQT year and am keen to try new things so I will be taking this up as of September.
    Hope this has been of some use!
    J

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Bingo!! Friday mornings sorted!