1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weekly lesson plan requirements

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid there are no 'rules' and what the head wants is what goes.

2. gogglehead

gogglehead New commenter

I've been doing some research...... Surely heads are aware of the following......
    1. Key guidance in the DfES/OFSTED/QCA document includes:
    · “spending excessive amounts of time on long, detailed plans does not necessarily lead to better teaching and learning. There is no prescribed format or length.” · “Teachers’ time should be used for aspects of planning that are going to be useful for their own purposes, and which have a direct impact upon the quality of teaching and learning. Teachers should not spend time producing documentation that does not meet these two purposes.” ·
    “It is important to monitor the quality and impact of teachers’ planning. This does not mean that you need to see everyone’s plans each week.”
    · “A standard form of presentation is not a necessity and can cause unnecessary work for teachers!”
    2. This guidance is also supported by the DfES Circular ‘Reducing the Bureaucratic Burden on Teachers’ (02/98) which says that: “Plans should be updated, perhaps once a year, but then only if necessary. Undue length and complexity should be avoided, as should unduly bureaucratic reporting back on lessons.”

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Key word in your latest post: "guidance"

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I always thought HT's were only to make 'reasonable requests?'
    Clearly this in not the case as there are 'no rules'.
    We now have two types of HT. Those that are reasonable and then those that are unreasonable.
    Big problem is, what can we do about the unreasonable HT?
    The op's partner seems to be working for an unreasonable HT. Don't really know what advise

5. gogglehead

gogglehead New commenter

The head expects literacy planning to be based on three different and very long documents - to be rewritten and printed off, two weeks in advance.
    He has been damned for adapting Hamilton Trust though they are impressed with his teaching and how the worst class i the school has been transformed.

He is going to crack - and so am I

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

This message corrupted on upload.
    The op's partner seems to be working for an unreasonable HT. Don't really know what advise to offer other than loads of copy and paste.
    He wants documents, then send loads of documents, then ask for comments about sub sections.
    Wear him down.

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Where's the AFL 2 weeks in advance? This seems ridculous to me. I going to a new school next year who expect a lot more planning than I am used to, but am hoping that for the "topic" work I will be able to rinse and repeat each year.

8. tinkerbella29

tinkerbella29 New commenter

Is it at all possible for him to speak to his union rep and ask them to request time during a staff meeting to update the planning policy (or whatever policy it comes under). I am sure he is not the only one feeling the strain.
    Technically the head can not ask for it in a set format. Planning is to help the teacher teach and not for the head to keep track.