1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weekend working in a job description

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by jubilee, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Teachers in the private sector are often scheduled to be in work on SATURDAY mornings. I'd hate to routinely lose a proper weekend but I suppose they do have longer holiday periods than in the State sector.
    I know of Academies where team-building sessions are scheduled for Friday evenings, followed by a Saturday. Thsoe who transferred over under TUPE could insist on their protected DT hours being allocated only to school days but others taken on directly would not have that option.
    I asked one TUPE HOD why he didn't ignore the weekend sessions as he was entitled to do and he said it would not be looked on well for someone in his position and so was not worth his while to stay away.

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I have to attend NQT team building sessions on a friday night and extra training on weekday evenings. I don't mind as they're not every week, but they do always seem to conflict with something I have planned personally. Can't avoid them but I suppose that they school is providing me with extra training than some NQT's get in other schools I've heard of.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If the school is not bound by the 1265 Directed Time hours over 195 school days (with no right to require a teacher to attend work on their non-timetabled days), they can require attendance on specified weekends.
    Sometimes, though, attendance at certain events like school fetes and concerts is an expectation, not a contractual imperative. It depends on attitudes whether staff feel obliged to attend.
    I can remember a member of my children's Parent teacher Association bemoaning the lack of teachers at our annual fundraiser in the school grounds. The Head, who attended our meetings,politely pointed out that his staff were not contracted for weekend working and could choose how they spent their leisure time.
    The parent continued to remonstrate, saying that perhaps the committee should only buy resources for departments where teachers supported the fundraising as "Why should absent teachers benefit?" The Head ponted out that the funds raised were to benefit the children, not the teachers.