1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

weekend jobs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shenshah, Aug 14, 2012.

1. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Hi, just wondered with the rising costs of food, petrol and bills, do any of you do weekend jobs
    to gain extra income?

2. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Hi, just wondered with the rising costs of food, petrol and bills, do any of you do weekend jobs
    to gain extra income?

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

if the week was 10 days long, i could...

4. I don't at the moment, but am looking to see if I can find anything suitable. Are you thinking of doing it?

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I don't know if I could work enough to make it worth it financially. As it would be my second job it would be taxed at basic rate so, assuming I'd be earning somewhere around the minimum wage, my take-home pay would be so small that I'd rather spend those hours with my partner or friends. I look to save money rather than make more.

6. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

yes, I am seriously considering it as I need to extra income - might go for some good old warehouse work like I did for many years in the past!

7. Minimum wage is £6.08 an hour. 8 hour day is approx £48. 20% tax leaves less than £40 then there's NI as well plus bus fares or petrol for getting there. Is it actually worth it?
    2 hours private tutoring would get the same amount and no need to travel. Get the student to come to you.

8. Yup- would agree with the above. Get some tutoring. I do about 5 hours a week which fits in between the end of school and tea.

9. shenshah

shenshah New commenter

Tutoring is probably the best bet - good one :)

10. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

I worked 4 hours in a super market once a week, after tax etc... I took home around £20, not worth it I was too tired for that amount of money.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I was a teacher much lower down the pay scale (and with much less responsibility and therefore more time) I did private tutoring. I had a couple of nights a week where I went to three children, so six hours there and then did four hours on a Saturday. Ten hours a week at about £20 an hour was easy money.