1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weekend Away

Discussion in 'Personal' started by leviosa, Jan 12, 2011.

1. We had a fab cottage in the Cotswolds for our hols year before last, ginormous bed, super sized telly, double jacuzzi bath etc

Also know of a lovley gite near Calais that would do the trick - 20 mins drive from ferry

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Ohh I did my PGCE at Bath lovely city and lots of other things to do in the area, Frome is a cute little town too, Chedder is a bit 'cheesy' no pun intended! (But still worth a vist. ) Wells, Britain's smallest city is not very far away and is very nice.
    I from Liverpoool and would also recommend there. Very contrasting to Bath, but lots to do too. The docks, museums, art galleries, parks, shopping, eating, clubbing, beatles. "the Duck" tour is something I always mean to do but never get round too, but looks ace, like the open top bus tours in other citys, but it goes onto the water in the docks! [​IMG]

3. Lol think there might be a riot if you took him to Liverpool! The cottage we stayed in is near Bath. In fact there was a gorgeous pub I looked at but it was just a bit out of way for stuff I wanted to do with kids - will see if I can find it.

4. http://www.howardarms.com/
    Near Warwick

5. http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/malmesbury/41230
    This is where we stayed - near Bath.

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

York.
    Breakfast at Betty's. Lots of musems, antiques, NT houses, good shops, etc. Lunch at Betty's. Walk around Fountains Abbey and the water gardens. Afternoon tea at Betty's. Bliss.

7. I live in the lakes and would agree that it's stunning.
    Personally for a weekend away we often go to Glasgow. Shopping, walks around lochs, boat trips, science museum, loads of restaurants etc.

8. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

paulie86: Excellent pub quiz question there - What is the smallest city in England?

10. When I lived in the north east, my favourite place to visit was Whitby-plenty to do, some fine pubs and eateries (from wholefoods to best fish and chips ever), lovely countryside around, a lot drier than the Lake District and with a fabulous old town-not to mention sea view and beaches, dracula legends etc.
    Have never stayed there overnight, but have fancied going back there for a visit. This time of year, more likely to be cold than wet-when I took my daughter for her uni interview at Teesside one year, we travelled back south via Whitby-it was so cold the waves were frozen on the beach-but the lovely caffs we remembered were all open. [​IMG]

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

If going to whitby, check the goth weekender dates.
    Norwich is rather lovely. loads of shops, high street and independent. cathedrals and churches, pubs, restuarants and cafes, countryside on doorstep and sea not TOO far. there's a most fab b&b in the city centre called No. 38. stayed there last year.

12. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

Wow lots of replies, thanks everyone. Erm im with Lev i think Liverpool would get me a funny look unless it was to the footie ground.
    But i im off to look up some of the other suggestions :)
    He's just such and awkward ***, ;-)

13. It would help to know the area you are travelling from and what your maximum journey time would be. Does it have to be by car or would you consider flying?

14. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I don't really get why. Maybe I am biased as it is my home city, (even if I don't live there anymore.) There is so much to do and see. Thousands of tourists visit Livepool Everyweek.
    http://www.visitliverpool.com/

15. Crystalsecrets

Apologies Paulie, its not Liverpool itself, more the fact he is also from up that way, went to Uni there etc, so going to Liverpool wouldnt be much of a trip away for him as he knows it fairly well.

We are travelling from Hertfordshire and are happy to drive or fly (not to long a flight, im a bit of a wuss)
    Lev i love the look of that hotel near Warwick, just a little bit more than i wanted to pay, i might pay that if it included flying somewhere, lol.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I was going to come on here and recommend Bath but that has already been done. There is a spa there now which looks lovely. I really fancy trying out the roof top pool at twilight.
    Brighton is fabulous - bit tacky but fun.

17. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I live in Edinburgh so can recommend it highly!
    Glasgow is an hour away by train - also a brilliant city with fab restaurants and shopping, though I'm not sure he'd be too impressed with the latter activity ...
    I guess it depends on the type of break you want, whether it's a peaceful, getting away from it all retreat in the countryside or the hustle and bustle of a city.
    Have fun whatever you decide.

18. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Argh okay fair enough! [​IMG]

19. Crystalsecrets

Ok so far i am liking the look of York, Now we are just entering negotiations over price. He is quite happy to go travel lodge type whereas i think we should spend a little bit more for somewhere a bit more memorable as it is his birthday.
    I am beginning to realise that men and women see going away differently, lol.

20. Google Akkeron Hotels
    Two night breaks £59.95 includes double or twin room full traditional breakfast both days 3 course dinner on first night.
    Locations are Belper, Exeter, Harrogate.
    Windsor is available for £99.00.
    Have friends who did Harrogate last year and say it was a real bargain.
    They went to the Drum and Monkey, a well recomended fish restaurant on Saturday evening having been to Betty's for tea. Advance booking is recomended for both.
    They chose shopping for Saturday day time but have booked spa treatments this time.
    Hope you find something wonderful and have a great time.