1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Week away....family holiday...where to go in the uk?!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by the apprentice, Aug 2, 2012.

1. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Have to say this is pathetic, but hubby has a week off soon and we ( 2 boys 11yr,and 13yr old) and we dont know where to go!! The more we look,the more choices there are and we can't decide!! We usually go to Borders,Lake district or Wales and take our bikes, and we went to Devon at Easter again biking!! Been several times to Kent, but would like a change. Possibly a city break or beach but not sure......at this rate we will be staying at home!!
    l know its a long shot, but any ideas. Dont mind taking the bikes or not...but budget is about £550 for a week!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Northumbria is Britain's best kept secret for long, sandy, unspoilt beaches - but take a jumper.
    Newcastle is good for a city break with the excellent Metro system which can take you everywhere, including the coast very cheaply. Tynemouth is lovely - the coast and on the Metro.

3. the apprentice

Have briefly looked at cottages there, but are there any specific 'towns,villages' so that i can narrow the search. We've never been to that area. Thankyou Inky.

4. Why not search through a selection of holiday cottage web sites? As it will be a late booking you stand a good chance of getting a decent discount and then that sort of makes your mind up for you doesn't it?
    I think with kids that age you need to be "doing" stuff so the lakes, Devon, Cornwall, Dorset or maybe Snowdonia national park would be ideal. Maybe even the highlands of Scotland too?

I think Wales tends to be cheaper and Dorset more expensive - but it's all worth shopping around.

Good luck!

Oh and I think this looks quite nice for 4:
    http://www.westcountrycottages.co.uk/publicwcc/properties/frogstreetcottage.htm

5. I love Dorset, beautiful countryside, chocolate box villages, not too busy. Corfe is lovely and Chesil Beach is worth a look. If you're lucky you might be able to find fossils.
    Hope you get good weather, wherever you decide to go.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We like Tynemouth or nearby Cullercoats - good for surfing if your teenagers are into that. There's also Bamburgh and nearby Seahouses. Alnwick (pronounced Annick) is nice.

http://www.tynemouth.org.uk/webcam.pl

7. the apprentice

JRTowner...we have all been searching 'lots' of cottage holiday sites and due to so much choice we can't make a decision...doesn't help that as soon as my OH spots chinzy material he runs a mile!! Just fancied somewhere were we havent been for a change. Had a look on a Northumbria cottage site which has some good deals and Seahouses seems to be mentioned a lot. We have been to Kielder Water and there is good biking there and cycling is mentioned on the blurb. What about Tweedmouth?

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I haven't stayed there but it looks nice.
    http://northumberland-cam.com/tweedmouth/

9. the apprentice

Magmac..one cottage comes up in Leyburn. l've looked at this as it seems fairly central to Lakes, The Moors etc. son not too keen, but it's not his choice! But l think it's good value for money.
    Found a nice one in Alnwick but more money £600.

10. the apprentice

The ones in Devon are nice, but decided that a 6 hour drive is too far. So no to Devon,Cornwall or the Highlands of Scotland!

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Yorkshire's coast is lovely - Whitby more than Scarborough, and you can easily get to York for a city day.
    We had a lovely holiday near Ross on Wye in the early spring, with better weather than we're getting now! There were loads of interesting places to go and things to do. We barely scratched the surface. Plenty of variety too, with castles, cathedrals, lovely food, Offa's Dyke, stately homes. I could go on! And it's easy to get to. Very pretty too, with all the black and white. Mind you, I have no idea where you live!

12. the apprentice

We live in Lincolnshire, so Whitby and Robin hoods bay are favourites! York is where we used to go BC
    Before children! Will have a look at Ross on Wye when OH gets back. Is that near Bradford on Avon ? Went there as a child on an adventure holiday! Near Bath!? May try looking at Bath. Thanks

13. We are currently in the midst of a tour of The Highlands and Islands (Plockton at the mo...Ardverikie on saturday.) it is superb, although perhaps a little too far. But I would say that the accommodation prices are a lot cheaper in Scotland.

14. the apprentice

l'm loving the fact that this one is set on a farm!! The donkeys and lamas look great. We could travel to Bristol and Bath but still be in the countryside. Need to pull myself away from the cycling...fabulous!! And we haven't biked in this area. Thank you magmac...should be booked by tonight!

15. We used to stay in the village of Rothbury when we visited Northumberland...seemed a good base for getting out and about and driving to places nearby...Children were young then. (My then baby daughter had her first beach experience at Seahouses...and hated the sand.. We had to stand her on a towel!)
    Lovely part of the world.
    How about the Peak District...lovely countryside, lots of small towns, villages and Manchester and Sheffield not too far away for city escapes and museums / attractions / eateries etc if needed.

16. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Good job I didn't suggest Lincolnshire, as I was going to! We were there for a long weekend last summer (moving house so couldn't afford much more time away) - what a gorgeous place! What about the Cotswolds or Herefordshire?

17. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Oops, just read one of your later posts, hope you're sorted now!

18. the apprentice

Did we book!!! ? No, still sat here both with laptops on our knees and still undecided!!! Waiting for the cattery owner to get back to us to see if they have a space for our moggie!!! Found one in Northumbria which is nice but only for 4 nights!! Keep seeing 'cheaper' 7 night options for £450 ish nearer ,but North Yorkshire moors and we've been there before.
    Lincolnshire is lovely and the cycling is fab...no big hills!!!