1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wee moan

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Doitforfree, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Established commenter

I'm not depressed and I'm not a teacher but I really look forward to going to bed. it's the best bit of the day. I sing in a quartet and we practise in the evening. One of the others sometimes notes how long before she'll be in bed when she arrives at the start of the rehearsal. It doesn't sound as if you're enjoying your job too much so it's natural you should focus on something nice.
    If you don't want to go part time could you move schools? I know several people who've felt like you and who have left teaching altogether, with nojob to go to, and they're managed one way and another. But it's not easy and I can quite see why you wouldn't want to give up the security. Maybe you can start exploring what else you could do, while you're still at your school.

2. What, me? It worked out for me; I would't recommend it *****-nilly for anyone else without knowing their circumstances!
    BUT if the quality of your life is suffering because of your job, you don't have many places to go! Are you sure it's work and not jts general depression that just feels worse when you're back at work?

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thanks Doit and Lily, I had 4 hours sleep last night with all the s**** of yesterday going round in my head. Spoke to family about part-time and they think it's a good idea.
    I know what you mean - there are so many new initiatives replacing teaching (a job I used to love), old systems being scrapped for alternate ones requiring 5 times the paperwork, I see the pupils being failed and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not sure if I've felt like this before as we haven't had a proper summer holiday in 2011. We are going away in 4 weeks time so that is something very nice to look forward to - I won't make any major decisions until after that - maybe a good dose of sunshine is what I need!
    Thank you for listening [​IMG]

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

This made me laugh. I used to make my bed in the morning, already looking forward to getting back in at night. I used to get so tired. Good luck to you - it sounds like a change might do you good. There are choices.

5. Maybe it's just this point in the term? I'm tired this week, even though I've been in bed early, just because the real work of the term is starting to kick in but my body hasn't quite adjusted from its life of holiday ease yet. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, whatever the cause.

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I have worked part-time for years and years and never regretted it. Do you live to work or work to live? If you can manage financially, it's worth it for the sake of your health and sanity.
    A couple of disadvantages: it does impact on your pension; you can be paid, say, for three days but your lessons might be spread over five. You really have to weigh up the pros and cons, but I've never been tempted to go back full-time. I've been lucky to have a supportive OH in that respect.