1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Admin Princess

Admin Princess Occasional commenter

Our wedding was very much a series of favours! One cousin did the flowers, another took the photos, one of my sisters made my dress and did my make up, friends of my parents did the catering at cost and - best of all - my dad and I were driven to the wedding in a Bentley belonging to the undertakers’ that my friend worked for! We celebrate our 30th anniversary at the end of September...

My niece recently began working as a wedding planner. At a team meeting, they were asked to write down the thing they love most about their job. The responses were things like “Seeing the look of joy on the groom’s face when he sees the bride” and “Knowing how much in love the couple are.” My niece resisted the temptation to write “My commission”.

Jamvic, Norsemaid, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maleficent bought her dress. Then another one that she intended to wear. The bride to be looked and decided on the first as the better colour. Maleficent then bought a third dress that she prefers to the first and that may not need the shoes and bag that the first two required. Still two weeks to go so other choices can still be made.

Norsemaid, Shedman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would have laid waste to the next generation.

Shedman likes this.
  4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Have there been any developments with this?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I gasped at that too Dunty. Where will they live after the wedding?

Doesn't always work. I had friends who'd lived together, very successfuly/ amicably for many years and then decided to 'make it legal'. Lasted all of 6 months. One of them decided that they could cope with 'living together', but not the 'commitment' which that bit of paper demanded! o_O Never understood it but sadly 'living together' doesn't always prepare one.

I love that story Corvuscorus:D

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Lovely story, Corvuscorus. My son and his wife had two small children by the time they got married, and both her sister and brother had the same. So they decided to have an assortment of 6 tiny bridesmaids and page boys - the youngest not quite two. Both the bride and groom have an adult sister, so these two grown-up bridesmaids tried to keep the class in order - a thankless task, especially on a beach in the sun! The photographer desperately tried to get a 'formal' pic, but no chance - there are children hiding under the bride's dress, peeping through the groom's legs and throwing posies up in the air. They're wonderful photos and we treasure them all.

caress, Jamvic, knitone and 5 others like this.
  7. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Any update about Sharon’s wedding from the op? I think she has a nerve and wouldn’t go.

Shedman likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Corvuscorax Oh, that brought a tear to my eye!
    Son 1s wedding was lovely but not without "ishoos". They insisted on paying for it all, which offended me at the time and they also didn't invite any Scottish family. My husband would have loved to have an auntie there as his mum had died a few years before, but they just didn't think about it. On the day it was just lovely and the groom's speech was very touching. I think he only realised on the day how much the wedding meant to the family - he'd just thought about it as a party before he actually saw us there. D-I-l's parents are divorced and with new partners who know each other from way back and they all behaved impeccably.
    I would love it if son2 married his partner but it doesn't seem to be on the cards atm. They can be extravagant but I think I could rely on them to keep it tasteful

Shedman, emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I probably face the following in short order:

Daughter 2 remarries (this will be overly ostentatious as it's the lads first marriage and he likes a bit of cash-flashing)

Daughter 1 gives birth to 3rd child in March

Daughter 1 marries father of 3rd child (also first marriage for him and his first child) - this had better be low-key as they have no money but I know all his mates do those absurd stag-weekends in Prague or Dublin or Benidorm

Cue me scowling and lip-curling and chuntering.

mothorchid, Shedman and emerald52 like this.
  10. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, not really. We will be turning up at the reception with our young grandson and we have got him a smart, casual outfit. I will not be wearing the smart suit I bought for the wedding and making do with a jacket and tie - my silent protest. My daughter did take the bridezilla Sharon to task as to why her son had been disinvited and was told that it was a special unique day that would be a one off and the bride wanted the time in church to be her, her future husband and God. I thought that was a bit rich as she'd rarely set foot in a church previously. The church service is Church of England and contains the line:

It (marriage) was ordained for the procreation of children, to be brought up in the fear and nurture of the Lord, and to the praise of his holy Name.

I find it ironic that Bridezilla Sharon has banned children from her wedding. We're just dreading it.

emerald52 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

see post #170

12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Oh dear God :rolleyes:

Actually, I wonder if God is thinking "Humm..., how can I get out of this?"

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

God???

Oh, that's going too far. No way would I be turning up.

A real Christian would have a modest wedding and, if there were surplus funds, make a gift to charity. I can't bear hypocrites.

caress, mothorchid, Laphroig and 5 others like this.
  14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Best wedding I ever went to was for an ex-student who asked me to best man

The reception was in the back room of the village's working men's club with sandwiches, pasties, Scotch eggs etc all made by the 2 mothers and a couple of aunties

Father of the bride bought a round, groom's father bought a round and then it was up to you

Only downside was probably my speech

Jamvic, silkywave, Shedman and 5 others like this.
  15. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

My daughter is planning their wedding. A big affair with all the children she can find. She’s realising the cost of food for all these extra little ones is expensive ! Fiancé would rather have a campervan. I am suggesting why get married ?
    We got married to a get a mortgage (I’m not sure single women could get a mortgage back then either ).
    But she wants to make everything herself, cakes, decorations, favours crapery etc. She is going to enjoy it come what may. I keep threatening to make my own outfit showing her some truly awful patterns! As she has yet to find a suitable venue we are safe for the moment.

emerald52 and Shedman like this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They live with her mother, who in turn rents a house from her son in law's parents!

Shedman likes this.
  17. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Talk about 'convoluted'! ;)

blazer and Shedman like this.
  18. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Sounds like it will be fabulous! Can I come? I will make my own gift. Seriously, give them my very, very best x

silkywave and Shedman like this.
  19. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Heard a vicar on Radio 4 this morning saying that because many don’t marry before children; free baptisms are becoming the family do to replace weddings. Many of those present have no church background and one woman even stuck her chewing gum to the altar rail!

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Soon be off. Maleficent has been brilliant as always but she is wild grumpy.

Shedman likes this.