1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Maybe. But the scenario goes: "Shaz is one of my bridesmaids, so I can't now refuse to go to her wedding in a yurt halfway up the Himalayas, can I?"

Other scenarios are available.:D

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do they not consider global warming when planning wedding services abroad?

Lara mfl 05, blue451, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well it is pointless in my opinion, apart from financial benefits which I should look into.

What is the point in the 21st century?

grumpydogwoman and Shedman like this.
  4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Presumably there are a few tessers reading these posts who are making plans for weddings abroad etc.

I really hope that this thread gives them pause for thought.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Indeed. I fear @FrankWolley was contaminated by loose-moraled continental ways.

Lara mfl 05, FrankWolley and Shedman like this.
  6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We married primarily to ensure a legal framework on which to start a family. Cohabiting couples often make assumptions about their status which come to nought in the event of one of them dying.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

No it's to avoid short (or longer) unhappy or worse marriages as far as is possible.

Shedman and smoothnewt like this.
  8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

And a hat of course!:eek:

Shedman likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Hat? Fascinator!

Pointless waste.....

Shedman likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I also remember that episode of The Darling Buds of May.

Shedman likes this.
  11. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I can only hope that as we all become utterly unable to afford anything or to go abroad after B****t, weddings will become more manageable in size and cost.
    (Sorry to mention the B word. I am trying to think of an upside to it...)

Shedman and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. LondonCanary

They are manageable now. It's just their people have free choice about what they want. A lot of weddings are hideous from the whole extravaganza down to the bride's dress choice. I don't particularly want to be bored with the Bridezilla details but I'll take my fair share. How they want to blow their money is not my concern.

Laphroig and Shedman like this.
  13. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

My mum's friend was telling her about the lovely 'fornicator' she'd bought for her grandson's wedding' :D:D

Jamvic, ms honey, lizziescat and 15 others like this.
  14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You're right @LondonCanary. I was really thinking about the huge elaborate ones which involve stag/hen trips abroad and hugely expensive added extras, like parachute jumps or specific clothing requirements.
    To be honest, when I'm invited to a wedding I do feel anxious about the cost. "Managable" is different for different people, and even an overnight stay in a Travel lodge plus clothes and presents and so on makes weddings a real stretch for us.

15. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I agree, but execting other people to blow their money is a different matter!

16. LondonCanary

We don't get invited to many. Everyone(well not everyone) we know has been married for 20 years or more.
    I'm happy to go to a reception and take a toast but do not really want to go to the whole thing. and be part of the event/cost with people I hardly know.
    I would turn down any invitation to an overseas wedding, partly on cost but also why go all the way to, say Italy, and be stuck at a wedding rather than enjoying the country?

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Already we are looking for dresses for Mrs J even though the wedding is a year away. I have lost count of the number of times I have said “that’s nice”.

Me - I have a blue suit in the wardrobe that I used to wear for work. I might buy a new tie though.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

All my work clothes went in the bin the day I retired except some work trousers that I use for dirty jobs like gardening. Retirement for me is a life lived in polo shirts, shorts/jeans and trainers. I wore a tie for more than 40 years of working life (7 before teaching) but now having one on feels so constricting.

Lara mfl 05 and Jesmond12 like this.
  19. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

@Jesmond12, do you say it in a Mrs Brown voice?

Shedman and Jesmond12 like this.
  20. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I haven't read the whole thread, but do have to jump to the end and tell you about my favourite ever wedding.

One of my lifelong friends was the bride and my three year old daughter was giving me hell in the service, screeching, kicking, running around. Another mother was struggling with two boys, about 4 and 5.

By the time it came to the vows I gave up, and picked up my child to remove her altogether. The other mum started dragging her noisy children out right behind me. But the couple and the preist had a quick conflab, and then called us to bring the children up to the alter. One boy was given the posy and veil to hold, and the other the ring. My little girl was told that she could be part of the service if she stood very tall and still, and my friends then got married with my child standing between them, each of them holding one of her hands.

It was such a loving thing to do, and my adult daughter still remembers it clearly. That was a proper marriage, genuinely inviting friends and family to share and witness the moment. They now have 3 children themselves, and I am god mother to all of them.

Jamvic, silkywave, Shedman and 19 others like this.