1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sold their house to pay for the wedding and honeymoon???!!

Do keep us updated on how long the marriage lasts, won't you? :)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Presumably all this performance is for Instagram? Just Photoshop it! Save yourself some money!

Jamvic, knitone, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  3. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

I'm happy to say the married Repello offspring funded their own weddings with minimal monetary gifts from the parental coffers.
    Making invitations and decorations ourselves was all part of the fun.

I can't be doing with all this princessy nonsense.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, Shedman and 5 others like this.
  4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I once read some advice to mothers-in-law to be.
    "Keep your mouth shut and wear beige."
    This seems like a good plan...

5. grumpydogwoman

My younger one knows how I hate weddings and has officially absolved me of the need to attend hers. Well, it is her second!

Lara mfl 05, Shedman and emerald52 like this.
  6. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

We got married a couple of years ago. We have no small children in the family but quite a few of the friends we were inviting had small children or babies. In the run up to the wedding we told these friends that the kids would be welcome and I even started buying bits as wedding favours for small children!! The parents were all horrified and said that they wouldn't be bringing children as a wedding was an excuse to leave the kids with babysitters and, well, get p****d!!

In answer to the OP Sharon sounds like a spoilt little madam. What dreadful behaviour!!

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, Shedman and 2 others like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How can a thread about weddings not include even a single mention of a mother in law?

Shedman likes this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm sure it was mentioned.

I'll be a !ovely one...

9. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Apologies. I shall desist forthwith.

Lara mfl 05, racroesus and Shedman like this.
  10. Duke of York

Was it this?

"The mother-in-law has been dieting for years. But it’s only recently that she’s achieved, in my humble opinion, the ideal weight; 2½lbs including the urn."

11. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I'm sure there's probably a need somewhere, for rent-a-mother-in-law. Probably in Japan or something - they have whole rent-a-family.

You could hire out your services as a respectable and polite mother-in-law, who'll behave properly. Worth that little extra cost, just to prevent any mishaps with the real one.

Damn - I've just given away my great business idea...

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

Can't think of many worse things - attending wedding after vulgar wedding!

Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  13. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I am a lovely mother-in-law. My daughter-in-law has confirmed it.

14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Because it's 2019 not 1969?

15. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

This makes me SO angry... I actually think it’s really out-of-order to tell guests what to do with their money. I don’t even like wedding lists, especially those where the guests get the option to buy them a 12-setting dinner service, and all you can afford is one small side plate. I mean, wow...

See, it’s not like years ago, when a new couple setting up their first home together wouldn’t have anything, and these (at the time) expensive household items were really needed. Most people I know who get married these days have already lived together, or have places of their own, and have enough disposable income to go and buy themselves a cheap kettle if they need one. The fact they want someone to purchase an expensive kettle-and-toaster package that matches the rest of their kitchen removes any personality from my choice. We’ve all got too much stuff anyway.

So I buy something that’s NOT on the list, or make something myself. It’s probably why I’m not invited to many weddings these days... and I’m happily single, but when I had a huge (and significant) birthday party, and invited everyone who might have come to a wedding, the invitations clearly said something along the lines of “No presents, please - just your presence”. You won’t be surprised to hear I don’t have matching crockery... let alone a 12-setting dinner service!

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, cissy3 and 7 others like this.
  16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Two-that’s nothing. Now on my 5th and as I constantly remind the current Mrs J she is now second in the league but will shortly ride to number 1:)

17. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I hated my wedding. I had to wear this awful dress that was a hand me down which was so old fashioned and just looked horrible. My mother had gone to the trouble of altering it to fit me so I felt I couldn't then refuse to wear it. I only had a few friends there. The majority were my husbands friends, many of whom I did not know. I couldn't wait for the day to end.

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I was up the duff so felt sick as a dog all morning. I had that desperate bone-tiredness you get in early pregnancy and could not wait for everyone to sod off so I could have a nap.
    We were flat broke and my father had just been made redundant so it was not a flash do - in fact the evening caterer canceled at the last minute so it was just a few sausage rolls, sandwiches and cheesecakes knocked up quickly by Mum and aunts while I was having said nap - but we've been married 37 years so it probably doesnt matter at all.

19. Duke of York

It's actually things like that which make for far better memories than any "perfect" wedding can provide. I bet you mum and aunts had a good laugh while they were doing it.

I find weddings a bit of a chore to attend, but I suspect I would find them more interesting if I was asked at the last minute to turn to and get involved.

My first wife and I lived about fifty miles apart, so my dad organised a charabanc to take my side to the wedding, held in the bride's local church. The journey was a laugh and a half. Mum had been up late the day before making proper sandwiches and stuff to eat on the way and Dad laid on the crates of booze. Mum had cooked a leg of ham and some brisket for the sandwiches, made the sausage rolls and whatever else herself.

My aunts and uncles started the singing on the charabanc off and if I live to be a thousand, I doubt I'll hear a better rendition of the laughing policeman than the one my uncle Nobler gave. Even the driver had to pull over onto the hard shoulder to recover, since the tears of laughter were affecting his ability to drive.

The charabanc stopped off at a pub about five miles away from the wedding venue to pass the time before the wedding was to begin and by the time we turned up for it, everyone was in a good mood and weren't inhibited about giving full voice to the hymns.

It's rare that you find me inside a church, so when asked which hymns I'd like sung I chose Jerusalem, since you can't go wrong with that if you want to get people singing. My bride chose another I wasn't familiar with and we agreed that maybe Abide With Me might serve as another hymn people would know and sing along to.

As it happens, that last hymn was probably the most apt in the sense of abide meaning tollerate; bear; endure and suffer.

But we had a really great day, all the same and it didn't cost a fortune, more importantly so far as we were all concerned, the guests not a penny.

Shedman, nizebaby and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  20. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

What I'd now like to read is some stuff attempting to justify the expense, stress and inconvenience of colour-themed weddings held in exotic locations preceeded by stag and hen does that cause embarrassment to all normal british citizens.