1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

And if he survives that, the first joint trip to Ikea should be a doddle.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Rude, rude, rude.
    I wouldn't go if I were your daughter.
    Just rude!

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I am appalled at the huge extravagance of some weddings. Daughter did hers on a very limited budget. The hen party involved the girls making the wedding bunting, with take away pizzas to eat, in her flat. The bunting is still in use - last time for my granddaughter’s first birthday. I made the table runners, the wedding car was a mini cab costing £5 as the booked black cab cancelled half an hour before his booking. We had a wonderful day with many happy memories.

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My son already has that haunted look...

Jesmond12, Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  5. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I have little expertise and pretty much zero interest in weddings, so am appallingly unqualified to comment.

Having said that, that's exactly what I shall do.

Don't go. Tell them as soon as possible. Do not enter into any discussions. Enjoy the day doing something far more relaxing and pleasant (Florian's suggestion was a good 'un). Write off the cost of the suit as just one of those things.

And now, some suitable quotes, cos I know how you all love 'em (particularly @racroesus):

"An early 'No' saves a lot of trouble"

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

"Don't throw good money after bad".

There are probably a few others that apply, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Jamvic, Mermaid7, caress and 7 others like this.
  6. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

My dad used to tell the story of a friend of his who took out a loan to fund his daughter’s extravagant wedding. He was still paying it off when she got divorced.

I can’t bear being the centre of attention so our wedding was a very small affair with just our parents a few friends and our children

7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Agreed but we know where we're not wanted.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I've not heard it called 'tea' before!;)

lindenlea, ms honey and smoothnewt like this.
  9. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

How horrible. Dont go.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Third meal of the day is tea. Obvs.

11. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

:D
    Perhaps you're more of a 'coffee' person? ;)

Shedman, Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.
  12. Dunteachin

Breakfast, dinner, tea. Supper is cocoa and biscuits before bed.

And why is it a Wedding Breakfast?

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Isn't it based on the time when weddings were in the morning as guests were all local. People either had little time for breakfast or keep participants were too nervous to eat. The meal at the reception was told his the one that broke the (nighttime) fast.

14. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Shedman likes this.
  15. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Is it like a 'Communion breakfast'?
    If it's a catholic wedding with a mass, and the participants therefore don't eat beforehand, they eat after?

(I'd never heard of communion breakfast until my cousin's boy made his first communion and the school did a breakfast party thing afterwards for them. Can't remember my own....)

Shedman, Alice K, Lara mfl 05 and 2 others like this.
  16. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

The breakfast thing has something to do with it being the first meal of the marriage I think.

The wedding industry is insane. We're currently planning our wedding and are having a simple church ceremony followed by a normal reception. We made our invites and ordered them on Vista Print. It's all cheaper than most people we know but still expensive.

When we were looking at reception venues, one place told us the cost would be £16,000 for the day. :eek: £16,000 for a tent on a lawn. When I asked why so much, the lady said we were paying for the view. Granted, the views were stunning but it's also pretty much the exact same view I can see for free sat on the toilet in my in-laws' bathroom. We declined.

Neither of us want big hen or stag do's. OH recently spent £600 attending a stag do. Ludicrous. I wouldn't dare ask my friends and family to spend so much. My maid of honour did have to be firmly reined in when she started talking about Ibiza. Absolutely not. I couldn't imagine anything worse.

My cousin's fiancee is similar to me. Her hen do is a meal with a few cocktails. It's cost us £30 each for three courses and a cocktail class. I think that's quite reasonable and mine will probably be similar.

Jamvic, Jesmond12, Shedman and 7 others like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Miss jubilee is in her mid-30s. Many of her friends have married. She said the most enjoyable, relaxed wedding was the one of a friend who was not earning much. She didn't want presents from friends as she had been living with partner for a few years and had all household stuff she asked guests to bring a sweet or savoury dish for the early afternoon buffet at a club. The bride's family then funded a hog roast for the evening event.

Jamvic, lindenlea, Shedman and 8 others like this.
  18. Dunteachin

Very sensible, Piscean!

The moment you say the word 'wedding', that's it. Utter greed and extortion.
    My poor father had 4 daughters, in the days when it was expected that the bride's father coughed up. I still feel guilty, 43 years later. God knows how much debt he incurred.

19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

We had 12 people at our registry office wedding and then a meal in a nice pub, where they closed off one section of the dining area for us.
    A week later, we had a big party.
    That was 26 years ago and we are still very happy.:)

20. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

We got married in a registry office. I made my wedding dress (not a full length bridal affair) and my mother-in-law and aunt did the catering for the reception which was held in our new house. We then had a week's honeymoon in Spain. Definitely a shoe string wedding, but we had 27 years before my husband died of cancer 9 years ago.