1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Their absence? ;)

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Santorini - ex volcano which blew up in fine style, devastated the surrounding region and ruined the lives of tens of thousands for many years to follow.

How romantic.

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Stay at home, buy them a broom and suggest they jump over it.

These bridezilla types are appalling. No class, no manners.

4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Even less likely the children would have been invited to that one!

nomad and Shedman like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

But the earth moved.

6. magic surf bus

So if one couple weds on Santorini, does the next couple try to outdo them with Krakatoa or Mt St Helens?

Even Hawaii is seriously volcanic. What is it with extravagant weddings and vulcanicity?

Shedman likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Use your imagination.

Shedman and blue451 like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

HAD to go. Yeah.

Daughter 1 told me that on the TWO occasions she took her brood abroad to the weddings of the two sisters of her children's dad. The chap she broke up fairly soon after. Thousands of pounds they couldn't afford. WHY?

These were two women she doesn't even LIKE and never did.

Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It'll end in tears, that's for sure. Some people just seem to lose all sense of proportion where weddings are concerned.

Both my daughters are at an age where many of their friends are getting married, and I frequently hear tales of totally unreasonable expectations and behaviour. The younger one's boyfriend recently had to schlep over to Bulgaria for a colleague's wedding. Prior to the big day he was issued with a colour scheme: colours guests would be permitted to wear on the big day, so as to blend in with the bride and groom. My elder daughter was telling me that she has been invited to the evening do at a wedding where her partner has been invited to the church ceremony plus evening do. She is not going to go.

This morning my hairdresser was telling me that last night her next-door-but-one neighbour phoned to say that her daughter's wedding in Cornwall next Saturday has just been called off by the bridegroom-no-longer-to be. My hairdresser and her husband had booked accommodation (trip down from London so making the most of it) - so will go down anyway. But the expense that will have been for nought, right down to the planned evening barbecue on the beach. They've each had two hen / stag do's - home and abroad.

So much nonsense for what should be a happy occasion for family and friends!

Jamvic, Jesmond12, Laphroig and 4 others like this.
  10. smoothnewt

Yes, we had Hove registry office on a Monday morning. We had a nice lunch in a posh hotel overlooking the sea, for our few guests. We went home in afternoon for tea. I wore an M&S suit that I knew I'd get good use out of at work subsequently. 30 years later we are still together (plus the 10 years before we actually married). We cite this to our girls on a regular basis. Luckily neither of them is impressed by the whole big wedding shenanigans.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, Shedman and 3 others like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

My husband has a second cousin who invited us to her wedding and on the invitation it said that the female guests had to wear hats. We didn't go - I am not going to a wedding where I am told what to wear.

Jamvic, Mermaid7, knitone and 11 others like this.
  12. smoothnewt

I can think of quite a few hats that would have turned such presumption into a farce... ;)

knitone, Lara mfl 05, Shedman and 4 others like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fortunately I have little to do with such events, the last stag-do I went on was a weekend in Sheffield where the groom originally came from.

I do watch with some wonderment on FB about the rituals and events that seem to surround weddings that are nothing to do with the actual celebration itself. One that caught my eye was a couple who fully documented their "handing out of the invitations evening". Bridesmaids, best man, maid of honour (I'm still not convinced this isn't just a fancy jam tart) etc. who had all agreed to play their role went to the house on an appointed evening. Outfits were bought, hair and nails done, champagne opened etc. and then..... they were handed their actual wedding invitations. Yup, that was it.

These trivia seem to take up so much time and effort. I remember my first contact with this world when a good friend, the first I knew to get married told me that one Saturday they were "Going to go and choose the wedding invitations", the whole day taken up by perusing and choosing some plain greetings cards, even then they couldn't find anything suitable and at least one more whole day expedition was mounted to complete the task.

Jamvic, Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Bridezilla does seem to be a common (in every sense) theme nowadays. It's the whole social media circus.

15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I deplore the waste.

None of them has much money. How about saving? Even if you're loaded? Give it to a charity!

17. magic surf bus

Sounds like this little number would have been appropriate - talk about creeping fascism.

[​IMG]

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

lol. I blame the wedding party companies for upping the stakes in all this. Completely agree with you. Re Maid of Honour, I always understood that the convention was the Bride's 'attendants' were Bridesmaids if unmarried but Maids of Honour if married.

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Ive worked alongside a few Bridezillas who have shared details of each step, including invitations, colors and fonts. And the inevitable diet updates. I think it really tests the resolve of the groom, like a test to see if he really loves her.

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think the chief bridesmaid is 'maid of honour'. Strictly, only if single and the unflattering 'matron of honour' if married.

Rott Weiler, Shedman and pepper5 like this.