1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My daughter is also getting married next year and Mrs J has told me to not say a word. I will just hand over the money.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Why not take a pocketful of multi-colured glass beads and surreptitiously sprinkle them around the (inevitable) table displays at the reception to b*gger up the co-ordinated colour scheme?

My nephew's wedding speeches included two Powerpoints. I had to bite on a napkin to prevent uncontrollable derisive laughter.

Any wedding where people can't just turn up and smile for all the right reasons is a waste of bloody time, money, and effort.

Jamvic, caress, Laphroig and 10 others like this.
  3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Same here. Take the family on a nice trip to the seaside. They'll enjoy it much more than a stuffy wedding.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Sounds a bit 19th century. Don't do it.

6. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That will be me in September. Relaxing in my jockstrap and seaboots watching. Maleficent might refuse to go with me.

Lara mfl 05, primarycat and Lalad like this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Mine was about the only thing that Maleficent hasn't spent a fortune on.

Lara mfl 05 and magic surf bus like this.
  9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

If it's in a church anyone can walk in and watch it. They don't need to be invited. So technically you or your grandsons rather could be at the service.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yup. That way lies survival.

Jesmond12, Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Jamvic, knitone, Laphroig and 3 others like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That way lies extinction. Beware the siren song of the Metropolitan elite, @Jesmond12 .

Jesmond12, Lara mfl 05 and Shedman like this.
  13. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Years ago now, we were invited to my late brother's (third) wedding in a castle hundreds of miles away in Scotland.

We had 4 young children who were not invited and the wedding was during term time.
    Unsurprisingly, we did not have people queuing up to look after the children for 3 - 4 days, so we couldn't go and declined the invitation.

Fast forward 20 years - recently met his (now ex-) wife, who commented that he had been upset that his own sister couldn't be bothered to go to his wedding...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Oh, and not only are my son and fiancée saving up for their extortion rack... sorry, wedding...they also HAVE TO attend two weddings in Santorini and Ibiza. A few months before their own. They can't afford to, but since the future DiL is a bridesmaid or summat at these friends' weddings, she HAS TO GO.

No. You sodding don't.

And don't even mention the HEN DO.

Jamvic, silkywave, Jesmond12 and 14 others like this.
  15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

We wont:)

Lara mfl 05, pepper5 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  16. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

The moral there is that some people might be genuinely unaware of what a difficult position they're putting others in and should have it pointed out to them.

I doubt Hawaii 2019 bridezilla falls into that category though and I hope her guests are planning some kind of surprise.

Lara mfl 05, Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We were almost going to Santorini but it wouldn't have been a church wedding and some on t'other side weren't happy. I got the impression that my being a Prod might have been something to do with it and this was an attempt not to cause me offence. I mentioned, when an alternative venue including church was posited, that I would like to visit an Orthodox Church again. So we are off to church. Honest, fisher-of-men seaboots should do along with a jockstrap for modesty's sake.

Shedman and pepper5 like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

You could have been invited to this one!

[​IMG]

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Daughter 2 has had one big wedding already. However her new beau has not. He (what is WRONG with him?) apparently desires to have his own big day. She ain't fussed. She hated the first one. She did it only to please her MiL. She has reassured me I don't need to go to the next.

I am twice-married. Both registry office affairs. First time I wore a navy M and S jacket that would suit me when I started my PGCE later that year. The second time was followed by a quick glass of vino in the pub.

Jamvic, silkywave, Jesmond12 and 7 others like this.
  20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Yup. We've looked after grandkids while son and daughter-in-law HAD to attend weddings in Ibiza and santorini in recent years. They only went for one night to Ibiza, it cost a fortune. You don't have to go!!! It doesn't matter if the couple came to your wedding, they chose to and were able to.
    Daughter (single) has a wide circle of friends and has attended many hen dos. She's toughening up now and finding that she already has unbreakable commitments when invited to dos which will cost her upwards of £300. What happened to an evening in a bar with a few cocktails?

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05, install and 5 others like this.