1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding woes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shedman, Aug 16, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Yucchhh. Singapore has got some things right.

Shedman and emerald52 like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Managing with no further purchases.

3. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

Hi @knitone, when I say the fiancé would rather have a campervan I mean instead a big wedding! Sensible lad. But I’ll ask her to put you on the guest list. She ...sorry they, don't want people to spend money onpresents. Practice your Scottish dancing for the ceilidh

caress, Shedman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

No one does the Gay Gordon’s better than I do! Your daughter and her fiancé both sound awesome. Bet the wedding is a blast xx

silkywave and Shedman like this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Exactly the same with my ex sis in law..... she lived with her bf for a long time... they married.... quite a posh do at a country club in Formby Merseyside..... That was August by the Oct she didn't wish to be married to him anymore and that was that !

Shedman and emerald52 like this.
  6. HelenREMfan

I was getting married where I'd been a student so my folks got off lightly. I organised the lot. First shop I went in.... saw a dress...... cream with little flowers on it (Ok ok i was a bit of a hippy) Unheard of first show shop first shoes I asked to try.... fitted... matched .... I was ecstatic! (size 8 feet in those days was an extreme challenge to get any shoes) My caterer I had been recommended to....he was wishing to start doing weddings....mine was his first. He put on an amazing buffet !!! It fed people all afternoon and evening at the Comrades of the Great War club where I held the reception. (Cheap drinks which went down well with most guests) Drove myself to the church with my parents in the car - they had driven down from Blackpool. Norman O'Tooley was the officiating curate (not the vicar who had done our pre-wedding "chat") MY niece by marriage sulked for a good part of it all - no idea why. My mother was a bag of nerves.
    Most of the ex's friends just got p*ssed as did the ex. His friends had tried to talk him out of it - he was the first of the group to get married. I was 21 and he was 26.
    Did 29 years before I got divorced. Still think I organised a great wedding (and wedding no 2 too)
    wedding 1972.jpg
    Only wedding pic of my young bridesmaid smiling. The ex is obviously deep in thought touching his wedding ring! My mother, really uncomfortable in a frock..... think it was one of my discarded ones! My father probably whinging with my great uncle about the drinking time being wasted.... + one of the few times I was out of a track suit!

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

You look beautiful! What a great photo.

8. HelenREMfan

It was my fave photo of the wedding as it wasn't 'posed'. My ex bro in law took the pics.... and alas 1. I was standing "uphill" of my ex and 2. there was a ladder lying down on the floor against the church walls in all the pics.
    But heigh ho. (We also saved a lot on wedding pics)
    I think the whole thing cost about £100

freckle06, Shedman, Jamvic and 5 others like this.
  9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

A friend of mine was given £1000 by her quite controlling parents to pay for the wedding, with the definite implication that that was enough and it was for everything. They went to a nice local small country hotel and asked what they could get for under £1000 and had a fab day.

10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

You look beautiful Helen and I love the dress the lady is wearing on the far left!

Shedman, Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The ex really does look awkward, doesn't he?! The writing was well and truly on the wall. Strange chap!

12. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I didn’t like to mention it, but seriously, what were you thinking?

Shedman, grumpydogwoman and emerald52 like this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

She was in love! It’s not about thinking!

14. HelenREMfan

Lol....or thought I was....I did make a lot of excuses.

Shedman, knitone, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just not in your league. You're Premiership but he ....well, I shall say no more.

knitone, emerald52 and Shedman like this.
  16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What year was that, Helen?

Shedman likes this.
  17. HelenREMfan

1972... the year I qualified.
    He took redundancy from his brother in law's company as we were moving close to my new teaching post. However 'the dole' sent for him the day before the wedding to send him for interview with British Steel. He got the job and was due to start the Monday am at 6! Out of consideration for us getting married they stretched that til 8am! I had a day's 'honeymoon' in Rainford!

bombaysapphire, emerald52 and Shedman like this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Best photo (IMHO - Mrs FW might not agree) of our wedding was taken by an elderly Uncle who snapped us as we ran down some steps to the car park in our 'going away' clothes to leave the party and start our (oh so short) honeymoon...

As an ex-journalist maybe he knew where to stand to see us finally relaxed and happy!

He passed away a few months later, but l always think of him when l see that photo.

19. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Photo please. I would love to see it.

Shedman and bombaysapphire like this.
  20. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Formby?? :eek:

Dead posh!! ;)

Shedman and Lara mfl 05 like this.