1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding witnesses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by poppy22, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,
    I will be getting married this summer and am currently thinking about witnesses for the wedding.
    My other half has been married before but hardly anyone knows about this. I would just like to know if, when the witnesses sign the wedding register, will there be anything on there that will show that his previous marriage dissolved or will the witnesses be shown the new marraige certificate which states previous marriage dissolved for my other half???

Thanks

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Does it matter that one has been married before?

3. Not sure but it iwll be on the banns surely? Actually I think it might be on the wedding cert as well. It is a few years since I saw mine.

4. How odd!? I am in a similar position and am wondering if an annulled marriage would show up? Can anyone shed light?

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why do you all care so much? Hardly novel to have been married and divorced.

6. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

On mine there's a section called "Condition" where it says Bachelor and Spinster, and the witnesses signed at the bottom of that. According to the direct.gov.uk site it can also say Widow / Widower and "Previous marriage dissolved"

7. Hmmm I see. I think I will just have to make sure the witnesses know. Thanks for clearing that up everyone.

8. Just had a look at my certificate,under condition my husband is described as 'single' and I have 'Previous marriage dissolved' .

9. banns?

10. ChilePhilly

ChilePhilly New commenter

If you're not being married in church, banns won't be called. If you're being married in church banns will be called 3 (?) times in the 3 or 4 (? I'm on very shaky ground here) weekd before your wedding. It's to check you are both OK to marry.
    *drony interminable voice*
    If anyone knows any just cause or impediment why these two persons may not marry one another, you are to declare it now.
    *pause while everyone looks at the floor*

Or something along those lines.

11. This is correct, although a lot of CofE churches don't do banns anymore and ask the couple to get a marriage licence. This was certainly true for my husband and I. We had to pay £50 to tell an ecclesiastical person that we were allowed to get married and then put our hands on a bible, which took all of two minutes (and two hours off school!).

12. Thanks Keira. ChileP. it will be a civil service so banns won't apply for me.

13. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Hope you all have a lovely day you can look back on.

14. Banns are still posted in the registry office for a civil service

15. Not sure about elsewhere but in Scotland the Banns are posted in the District Registration Office. A printout is put up on the wall of all the up comming weddings whether civil or church. At least they were eight years ago when I registered my youngest's birth. Can't remember what details it had though.

16. I am slightly surprised that you feel the need to warn your witnesses. As a previous poster said, it is scarcely unknown for someone to have been married before. Why did you want this to be hidden?