1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding Organist . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mumbles81, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Looking for some inspiration here on how to advertise myself!
    I am an organist - of the electronic variety mainly. I played for my friend's wedding ceremony (prelude, processional, during the signing, and recessional) and it was very successful so I would like to do it as a business.
    My USP would be the fact that my organ is entirely portable, size of an upright piano, fits perfectly into many venues, can sound like any instrument you want it to and that I would play totally bespoke music for wedding ceremonies. For my friend i played a selection of RnB and love songs with an orchestral sound as well as a traditional melody for her to walk down the aisle to!
    Thing is i dont think "wedding organist" conveys that . . .
    Any ideas? Or know any people getting married that may want to hire me?? I have excellent references :)

2. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Ooo-er missus

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Mine too.

On a more serious note, are you able to play the Widor's Toccata, (the final movement from his Symphony for Organ no. 5, so often played as a recessional at wedding ceremonies. Do you have a set of foot pedals for the organ, and can you play them? (Needed for the Toccata...)

4. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

My cousin used to play a harp - until she swapped it for an upright organ

5. Have an octave and a half of foot pedals - havent tried that toccata - wedding music is new (ish) to me but yes, would be able to!
    Looking to upgrade to an organ with a radiating pedal board.

6. Try advertising in hotels etc. When I were wed, people still had to do it in a church if they didn't want Registry Office, and the organist kind of came with the package. Now it's more usual to have the whole thing at a hotel or other venue, people would need to find their own.
    I wanted Arrival Of The Queen Of Sheba for my entrance, and this was before Four Weddings And A Funeral or you could bring it on an iPod. The organist was very anxious about playing it and the congregation all said they wanted to give him a clap for getting it (mainly) all right!

7. Thanks Lilyofthefield - thats kind of what I thought - the hotel and other venue thing that is.
    And ... Arrival of the Queen of Sheba is my party piece, I love it!
    I just need a "title" if you like, "wedding organist" sounds churchy, and as you say, in churches that's part of the package.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. Fab Nomad thank you very much!

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

No probs.
    Good luck.

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Try chatting to your local vicars and RC priests. Many of them are desperate for church musicians and will throw very profitable funerals and weddings your way in return for some help in the services... and also think about ebay - mad I know, but if you look at weddings there are various people advertising on there... also you might like to talk to car hire people or other web listed wedding people in your area - they might carry your card or advertise for you.

12. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Have you considered doing wedding fairs?

13. Yep I want to do wedding fairs - my friend said that when she was going to them whilst plannign hers there wasnt anything like what I am offering.
    But thing is I dont know what to call myself to grab people's attention and show what it is I offer - any music you like, any sounds you like, from consultation to rehearsal etc? It's not churches I'm looking at doing, more venue type places where I provide the instrument as well as my services playing it.
    Need a "brand name"! :)

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can hire me! I've just started in Graphic Design and Marketing. (I say started...I've worked for major agencies but have just started on my own) I'll do your whole brand identity [​IMG] x

15. Definitely speak to local priests and vicars so that they can pass your details on. Our organist lived over the road from the Church and was the only one recommended. She was dreadful. I have never heard so many wrong notes outside of a primary music lesson!

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I could have a go too, although you may not like it.

[​IMG]

With apologies to the Monty Python Nude Organist.

17. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Never heard of him, are you sure this isn't you? [​IMG] lol

18. I do believe I have just spotted a Generation Gap!

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

*snigger* [​IMG]

20. Haha!!
    SOooooo many rude jokes about organs and organists - especially when you are a girl, under 90 years old - which I am . . .
    (but i do recognise the Monty Python dude... thanks dad...)