1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

wedding in term time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bkc78, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bkc78

bkc78 New commenter

Hi

I need some advice. My sister is getting married this Easter in China. Her wedding is on the first saturday of the easter break but i will need to be there from the previous saturday. Am I able to have this time off from work or should I call in sick. I know at my school there was a case where one teacher wanted a half day off before the easter break and she had so many issues. Is honesty the best policy??

Help!!

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Good news. I would kiss her feet :) It is extremely unusual, and certainly not cost effective to allow 2 days paid leave for such an event :)

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I second daisys' suggestion. I would be inclined to buy a "thank you" card and a bottle of wine...

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'd suggest a large box of chocolates for the staff who will, inevitably, have to manage without you (whatever cover arrangements are in force) .