1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding gift

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TEACHER16, Aug 6, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

My partner and I have been invited to a wedding and the bride has asked for money. How much money do you think will be suitable?

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

My partner and I have been invited to a wedding and the bride has asked for money. How much money do you think will be suitable?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Depends how well you know the couple, but when my son got married last year then those who were not what you would call close gave around £20-£30. Those closer gave about £50 and the closest upwards from that.

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

What you can afford and feel comfortable giving, dependent on how close you are to the couple.

5. Depned show well you know them. I would say £50 is enough. or £50 vouchers for Mand S or John Lewis?

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I doubt I'd stretch to £50 for anyone but a close relative. It amazes me how much people spend on presents these days.

Since the OP hasn't told us what she can afford and how well she knows the couple I don't see how a bunch of strangers on the internet can possibly give a valid opinion.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Quite! This is what I said on the same thread that is posted on Opinion as well.

8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A fiver... in pennies....

9. Personally, I think asking for money as a wedding gift is pure cheek, but I would suggest giving roughly what you spend on a gift.
    Or, as was said on another thread today, give nothing and tell them your presence is their gift!

10. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

50p, or £1,000,000 or sod all or a kidney

It is up to you to decide what is 'suitable' as it depends on so many variables

11. I NEVER give money as a wedding gift and the mere fact i've been asked for it makes me want a)vomit and then b) refuse the bloody invitation.

12. If you were going to buy a present, how much would you spend?
    Round to a "nice" number and give that much.

13. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I have been to weddings where money is suggested as the gift and I have bought a gift I thought the couple would appreciate...eg a croc pot for a teacher colleague...(I did find out that they didn't have one) and for a relative I made a donation to an African gift aid...(bought a teacher for a year!) I thought this was appropriate as they were both teachers and had been living together for 8 years ,so had most things....the money they wanted was for a 'once in a life time holiday'...which they went on.
    It really dependes on your feelings about giving money.

14. I loathe requests for money as wedding gifts (and gift lists in general) - but while we refused to have either at our wedding, people did give presents and cheques (not that we requested it - we just wanted people there to get drunk and stuff their faces and celebrate) and we got everything from about £20 up to about £75 if that helps at all and lots of bottles of fizz and stuff too.
    Having said that - the present we got that made us laugh the most was a Nodding Nessie our best man had put in a gift box with a few chocolates guarding a cheque! Nessie still lives in our kitchen.

15. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I was thinking £20 but it doesnt sound much at all...however I have got them a nice card and a money wallet to try and jazz it up a bit. I just wasn't sure if £20 looked tight?

16. Not at all. We had lots of gifts for £20 for our wedding. We asked people to contribute to our honeymoon fund if they asked us what we wanted. We didn't have a wedding list, or ask for money, but if asked, then that's what we said. We used the money for an amazing honeymoon that we certainly wouldn't have had otherwise.

17. I know this is going to come across as belligerent now but I am actually just curious about how different we must be. I could never ask anyone for money as a gift and I find it rude when people do - for example if I asked my nephew what he wanted for Xmas and he replied money his mum (my sister) would reprimand him and explain that we don't ask for money.
    Now I've written it I can see that on paper there's no difference betwee saying 'money' or ' a Harry Potter book' but there you go!

18. I've quite happily given at least 4 friends money as a present. The traditional idea of a wedding present goes back to when people were setting up house together. In the times we now live in more often than not most couples have already been living together for a substantial amount of time and don't need things like toasters, crockery, bedding etc. I'd rather given them money to go towards their honeymoon or towards savings for a child then buy them an object they don't need!

19. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i don't mind giving money or vouchers if it's for a specific thing - honeymoon etc. once the b&g were saving for a sofa from habitat! BiL is asking for honeymoon donations, as they don't want/need anything else, which is fair enough.
    we didn't ask for anything, and got given some money by inlaws as we had been together 10 years by then and had most stuff. we bought some posh china and cutlery with ours.

i wish, WISH that OH's family would give him vouchers for his birthday. i always suggest them when they ask, but they won't. instead he gets things which make us wonder whether they've ever spent any time in his company, and very often go straight in the next school raffle. all he ever really would like is record vouchers, bless him!

20. Yes exactly, we had been together for a while, and had our house and everything in it, so didn't need anything. We had a honeymoon fund set up with a travel firm, where people could give to. It worked really well.