1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding Ceremonies

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by GruffyMax, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Evening,
    I want to perform some wedding ceremonies with my Yr9s next term, was thinking C of E & Hindu.... What characters, costumes & props would I need? So far i've got:-
    C of E:- Characters - Bride, groom, bridesmaid, father-of-the-bride, priest. Props - Dresses, veil, jackets, rings and flowers.
    Hindu:- Characters - Bride, groom & parents (??). Props - Saris, fire (how??!), necklace, red powder (What?!).
    Any hints, tips & advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Merry Midwinter!!

2. Evening,
    I want to perform some wedding ceremonies with my Yr9s next term, was thinking C of E & Hindu.... What characters, costumes & props would I need? So far i've got:-
    C of E:- Characters - Bride, groom, bridesmaid, father-of-the-bride, priest. Props - Dresses, veil, jackets, rings and flowers.
    Hindu:- Characters - Bride, groom & parents (??). Props - Saris, fire (how??!), necklace, red powder (What?!).
    Any hints, tips & advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Merry Midwinter!!

3. Don't forget the confetti! My class seemed to enjoy throwing the bouquet best and we also had speeches and a party afterwards, where I was the vicar's wife! However, we are a special school. We also enjoyed the Jewish ceremony, although my pupils got very tired holding up a tallit for the chupah.

4. It would be worth contacting your local CofE vicar - (s)he would probably be happy to make the church available for a "wedding" - play his/her part as Vicarand explain what goes on. There could well be genuine props/costumes available from that source as well.
    For the Hindu ceremony, try contacting local Hindus for advice and help.

5. Thanks for your advice!
    I found the most hidious wedding dress in a charity shop yesterday - £8!! [​IMG]
    Unfortuately we're not in a very multifaith area, so there isn't a local Hindu community. But i'll contact the church in the villiage & see what they say. Trips are on a bit of a lock down at school due to funding, but I might be able to get someone in.
    Have a lovely few days off!
    Gruffy

6. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

You'll find a lot on my resources site at

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Wedding-Season-6082342/requestAction/update/

I have added a couple more files - one which outlines the timeline I used for our Wedding Season - and how we chose who would play the various roles, what the different roles were - and we included all 30 class members by including caterers, florists, DJ's Photographers, Ushers, Graphic Designers etc. Also included is a list of props.

I've not done a Hindu marriage role play but I did have one. You should get some of the actual service translated. The short version goes on for about 4 hours if I remember rightly (we had the 'short version' - the standard version goes on for days) but it's very mobingh and significant. I will try to get some more info by the start of next term, but tied up with Christmas things at the moment.

all the best and Happy Christmas (none of this 'merry midwinter' stuff for me. Real Christmas needs all the support it can get!)

7. durgamata

Just trying out if I can give a direct link to the resources

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Wedding-Season-6082342/

8. durgamata

now, trying out the code for direct links - thanks, null - and hoping it works -

Your page is here.

9. durgamata

still not working!!! Sorry. I guess I am a slow learner. You will have to copy the address and paste it into your address space. Please use the second one as the first is what I was on when just adding new files.

10. For a Hindu wedding use sarongs for the female guests which can be tied as saris. I've used a portable barbecue for the fire (make fake flames!) Hawaian flower leis are a good substitute for the wedding garlands ( try a fancy dress shop or ask the kids). I have proper kum kum but you could substitiute with powdered blusher? Have fun!