1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wedding and half term date change

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparklepig2002, Jun 27, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

how annoying and frustrating for you. Go and speak to your head. Any decent head will be understanding. Good luck-and try not too worry .

2. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 Occasional commenter

I have no idea but surely if you are booking holidays over school holidays and the school decides to change when they have holidays it is their fault and they must deal with it, you ending up out of pocket due to their actions is not acceptable and they will have to deal. I think you should tell the head of what has happened and that you will be off at that time, if someone states you cannot or it is without full pay you happily point out as it is the schools fault they have no leg to stand on. The fact you are an academy means nothing, they cannot remove you from your post for this. Admittedly I have no actual idea, check with your union or this website which offers free legal advice/shows you where to find it. http://www.advicenow.org.uk/

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Whilst morally your school might beliable, legally they don't have to do a damn thing.
    I would, therefore, approach your head to see if they would be willing to give you the time off, but please DO NOT GO IN DEMANDING ANYTHING!
    Your fiance is wrong - it remains your problem, not theirs, but as they creeated your problem, they may be willing to help you out.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

On the whole, when this sort of thing has happened here, the LA (who run our schools) have honoured previously booked holidays etc. If you were all booked up prior to the change I'd expect the school to bite the bullet and honour the arrangements without detriment to you and I'd suggest consulting your union if they don't.

5. I am sure under the circumstances your school will be accommodating, as you strived to stick to the original dates. I would not go in guns ablazing - your fiance is wrong. It is not your employer's problem, it is yours.
    Negotiation always brings more than a battle, so don't ruin your chances by being too uppity about it being "their problem".
    An employer, be it in the private or the public sector, is an employer, not a charity and does not only have to deal with your wishes and private arrangements, but with those of all employees and ensure that everything runs smoothly with as few hiccups to "business" as possible.
    If the dates of term have been retrospectively changed and you originally planned with the information available to all employees, then there should be no problems negotiating still having the time off.
    Most employers are interested, believe it or not (;o)) in having a happy and contented work force - so have a calm word with them, explain the situation and if nothing comes of it, take the above advice and involve your union.

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Do not adopt this approach. Do not state that you "will be off at that time" or that "as it is the school's fault they have no leg to stand on".
    Go in politely but firmly. Being confrontational could backfire.

7. I am getting the week off :)
    School were very understanding and told me to stop worrying. That they are very sorry for the stress it has caused me and to just look forward to our wedding. They understood that you book wedding dates a year sometimes more in advance and explained the dates had changed because of Ede and didnt want student attendance to drop.
    My dept are all wonderful too and have said they will help to sort out the cover for my lessons.

Thankyou to all for your advice and support.
    :) I'm a much happier bride to be :)

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Great news! You also get a "bonus" week off for half term!

9. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I am very pleased it worked out so well for you.

10. Glad it has all worked out :eek:)

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

fantastic news