1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Websites with online books

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 19890609, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 19890609

19890609 New commenter

The library in my school is very poorly resourced.Does anyone know websites where the children can access books online? (especially non-fiction-topic/history books).I use oxford owl but it doesn't have many non fiction books to read.

Thank you very much.

2. saracarroll

saracarroll New commenter

Hi, the TES iboard site has lots of non-fiction books (as well as storybooks). Books for 4-7 ages usually have full sound support as well - great for emerging readers/SEN pupils). Many books are part of the premium content - however, you can take a free 30-day trial (subscription is £11.99 per year for everything). Here's an alphabetical listing of the non-fiction books

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

4. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Oxford Owl is pretty good. Lots of free online books to read (and listen to!) including Oxford Reading Tree. Well worth a look. http://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/

Milliemoo13 likes this.
  5. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I like storylineonline it is famous actors reading storybooks out loud.

Great for filler activities, wet play etc. I have taught a range of ages and every year group I have had constantly ask to watch a story. I like it as it helps language development.

6. purplepearlopal

purplepearlopal New commenter

I've just discovered the iPad app called Epic. You can register as a teacher and their whole online book catalogue becomes free! Not sure if this is the same if you're a pupil but worth a look. Lots of lovely interactive books but please be aware that it is a US based app so American accents for read aloud books and, I'm assuming, American spelling too.

7. misterhall

misterhall New commenter

We use www.readingeggs.co.uk for this - unfortunately our school library has suffered because of it but it has far more books than we could stock :0