1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Web site development - Good Practices

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by evilpixie, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I'm helping some yr10's do their OCR Unit2 and want to encourage them to use good practices but I can't find a list.
    I've come up with
    lower case file names
    no spaces in name
    use an images directory and logical structure

but there must be more .... does anyone have a list I can look at?
    or add to here!

Thanks
    Kim

2. Hi,
    I'm helping some yr10's do their OCR Unit2 and want to encourage them to use good practices but I can't find a list.
    I've come up with
    lower case file names
    no spaces in name
    use an images directory and logical structure

but there must be more .... does anyone have a list I can look at?
    or add to here!

Thanks
    Kim

3. That's very implementational. Not that that isn't important.
    Think about things like accessibility ; alternate text for pictures, good layout and clear access to pages, seperation of content and formatting (CSS, well I can dream....)

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

home page named index.htm or default.htm

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

http://www.w3schools.com has a lot of details but they're spread around within the sections

Essentially, readability and access are the critical items - no underlining, review how the site will look on different browsers including handheld devices (something TES could do with trying!) and follow the rules for page readers like always providing alternate text for images.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Improving search engine visibility through careful use of Title tag and Meta tags, and the inclusion of relevant keywords in the home page text?

Maybe getting too far ahead here, but the more advanced might consider what a mobile device friendly version of the home page might need to look like. Try http://ready.mobi for an online webpage evaluator.

On an artistic front - colour co-ordinating the page background with embedded images using the colour sampler/dropper.

7. Or even better, index.html so you aren't limited by the CP/M level of Microsoft designing.

8. Nice ideas!
    any more?
    Thanks

9. Some great advice on this thread. The materials from OCR have some useful links I believe, they mention that usability, readability, accessibility and other design principles are technical and need to be considered carefully for upper marks. OCR link to these guys Web credible - usability which have some appropriate materials backed up by pretty good sources.[/URL]
    If you are trying to understand the different approach required to web design from say print design, this vid is worth a spin (but may not be suitable for Yr10's) Jason Santa Maria
    Which I found via the excelent www.smashingmagazine.com - for more directed articles on web design/development "A list Apart" is always a good read.

My nerdy fave area for directing pupils attention is both menu/link names and file names, these have an impact on human and machine (search indexing) usability, try to avoid using the dreaded (page/menu name) info.

Good luck, it is my fave OCR unit and no longer advocates table layouts I'm reliably informed.

10. I would go further than this, if you want consistency (good for both usability and requirements to follow a house style) it is demonstrably easier to achieve using CSS when compared with tables and inline styles. That is why the W3C dropped the font tag 10 years ago. Some schools get pupils to use templates in web creation packages like Dreamweaver to help prevent some of the issues with table layouts and consistent styles which is OK, but that does not address Accessibility at all. I'd advise those looking for pupils to achieve merit/distinction on OCR L2 Unit 2 to read the examiners notes, and the course spec before ruling out CSS.

11. As on most things related to communication audience and purpose are clearly vital. That said if you design/build a website with little consideration for the requirements for machine processing (search indexing) for example, regardless of how good it is it may never reach its intended audience or fulfil its purpose.

12. Most schoolboys run away if you mention soap

13. magic surf bus

Dreamweaver now generates its own CSS within the page's HTML code by default. Transplanting it to a separate .css file isn't exactly rocket science is it? As long as the students understand what it's doing and the more advanced among them can tweak it then surely that's job done?

14. magic surf bus

..and for what it's worth, anyone who can get a grip on tweaking CSS will have no problem setting up an RSS feed or a Sitemap as extension tasks if so required.

15. Surprised no one has mentioned it before but surely the pupils should be doing some background reading on www.useit.com which is Jakob Nielsen's website. This is full of good advice and tips. Pupils can even sign up for his Alertbox columns.

16. Unit 2 Distinction actually requires you to use tables to aid with the layout

17. God!
    Why are you making such a meal about this?
    As long as your starting point is Serif WebPlus and you follow the Wizard, the site will be great.
    Honestly, all this silliness about nothing.

18. Unbelievable some of this.
    As JB above says, all this CSS mullarkey is one click in Serif WebPlus.

19. Doubt that WebPlus does either web layout by tables or CSS.
    Actually, I looked and it doesn't. As I suspected it does everything with absolute positioning and DIVs.

It's full of this sort of stuff "position:absolute; left:90px; top:931px; width:570px; height:14px;"
    Not a table in sight. Only a tiny bit of CSS , that's just used to standardise fonts and set colours, bit like the YUI reset stuff.
    What it actually does is to set up a DIV to represent the page, then plonk the things on the page at fixed positions. (This is unsuitable for everything except games/animations when you are trying to do a 'spritey' sort of thing)
    Embarrassing.

20. So the bad news is that if OCR L2 Distinction requires layout using tables you can't do it in Serif Web Plus (including X4)
    The good news is the average examiner is too thick to figure this out.
    Plus ca change.