1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weaver's bottom and such other work- related infirmities

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When an old friend phoned last night and I asked how she was, she told me she had been diagnosed with Weaver's Bottom. I had never heard of such a thing, which is apparently a bursa on the bum that weavers and other folk get, it seems, from sitting on hard chairs for too long. It got me to thinking how I have heard of Housemaid's Knee, Policeman's Heel and Hatter's Madness. I wondered if you could think of any other such afflictions. I myself suffer from chronic Nursery Teacher's Shoulder caused by sitting on those tiny nursery chairs for years and years.

This weaver's bottom should be a warning to people who spend a lot of time on TES to ensure they are sitting on nice soft cushions all the time!

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I can't win. Am awaiting a referral to get a diagnosis of this ongoing (YEH GOING ON FOR YEARS) knee problems. So far, sitting down all day at work makes it hurt, as does walking more than 25 yds, as does attempting anything resembling exercise. The only thing that is OK is Advanced Pottering. If I just mooch quietly about all day avoiding two-hour ironing blitzes, digging and running up and down stairs a lot, it's bearable. Everything else hurts.
    I have Dynamic Person's knee.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tennis Elbow.

Weaver's Bottom. (Are you sure it isn't an excuse for the doc to have a quick grope?) Mind you, they've never suggested I have it. Could be a reason for that.

upload_2016-1-27_16-48-59.png

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Oh dear:( :eek:You really must ensure you are using full cushioning when you sit down a lot at work.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Phos(s)y Jaw.

6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Angler's Teeth.

7. xena-warrior

Pickler's Rot. Throat cancer caused by the acid fumes from the "pickling" process at the steel works. My great-grandfather died of it in 1922, though I daresay the amount he drank and then got nasty after didn't help either.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do matchmakers still get that? I have heard that women who have been prescribed long term Fosamax for osteoarthritis are getting it.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

poachers' bottom

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What are angler's teeth and poacher's bottom?

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Other types of industrial bursitis include Billingsgate hump, tailors' ankle, hod-carrier's shoulder and housemaid's knee. Not sure if cauliflower ear is a form of bursitis or not.

Others? A whole raft of 'em. Diver's bends, Brass founder's fever, miner's phthisis, grinder's consumption, wood sorter's disease (a.k.a. Maladie de Bradford), mule spinner's cancer, stoker's cramp, hop-picker's gout and arc welder's eye.

12. xena-warrior

Teachers' WRS?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't know. If a medicine is causing it then people should sue. Maybe sufferers shouldn't be sucking or chewing the tablets.

Breakages, erosions and grooves caused by using teeth to bite through line or to squeeze lead shot onto lines.

I will resist temptation.

Lascarina likes this.
  14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Years ago I spent time in Kalymnos when I was island -hopping in the Aegean. All the waiters were retired sponge divers and all had severe deformities as a result of diving too deep.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do you mean wool sorters' disease, aka anthrax, or have you dredged up another rarity?

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

P ornstar's member?

racroesus likes this.
  17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Writers' cramp?

xena-warrior and Lascarina like this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

upload_2016-1-27_17-43-16.png

Grotesque rugby ear.