1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weather Visit

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gareth355, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone could help. Our spring term topic is weather and I would like to organise a trip for my year 5/6 class. We will be learning about extreme weather and I would like to go on a trip relating to this. Has anyone been to any weather stations? Or know any exhibitions that would be suitable.
    I am based in North Yorkshire and would be willing to travel if a good opportunity arose. I am drawing a blank at the minute. Hope someone can help!

2. I was wondering if anyone could help. Our spring term topic is weather and I would like to organise a trip for my year 5/6 class. We will be learning about extreme weather and I would like to go on a trip relating to this. Has anyone been to any weather stations? Or know any exhibitions that would be suitable.
    I am based in North Yorkshire and would be willing to travel if a good opportunity arose. I am drawing a blank at the minute. Hope someone can help!

3. The Chill Factor - for more snow?!
    Not very educational I realise, but fun nontheless!!

4. I think I might sturggle to show the educational value of that trip but it does look good!

5. Not weather station suggestions but here's a few other ideas:
    Visit local TV station and ask weather forecast presenter to discuss all things meteorological.
    Contact the Royal Meteorological Society and see if they can help with a visit or visitor.
    Invite an explorer in to discuss the conditions they have encountered.
    Visit an air traffic control centre as controllers have to be well tuned in with weather conditions.
    - anyway a few random and probably off track suggestion!! Have fun.

6. When I did "weather" with my mixed KS2 class, we visited a local town which is prone to flooding. We looked at the new flood barriers and the areas that used to be flooded before they were put in. We linked it to our history and looked back at photos and newspaper reports of past floods, and mapped out on the ground different water levels. I also begged someone from the environment agency to attend, and after much persuasion, they sent two officers who talked us through how they decide when to erect the flood barriers, what happens when they do, etc.