1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wearing name badges? Am I an object to be labelled?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bonniconni, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

I have been handed a name badge (with my name on) on a lanyard that says 'STAFF' in large letters. We have had no explanation for them, or discussion about why we have to wear them. Is this, as I suspect, because "Ofsted like it..." or is it some new directive from government? Do other schools have to do this? Where do I stand if I refuse to be labelled?

2. bonniconni

bonniconni New commenter

I have been handed a name badge (with my name on) on a lanyard that says 'STAFF' in large letters. We have had no explanation for them, or discussion about why we have to wear them. Is this, as I suspect, because "Ofsted like it..." or is it some new directive from government? Do other schools have to do this? Where do I stand if I refuse to be labelled?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Be grateful. We used to have those, I loved them and their black cord.

Now we have ones with our photograph on and a bright green cord! Urrrghhhhhh!

But there are more important issues to get het up about. I don't know any primary schools that don't have something similar to be honest.

4. deeley

deeley New commenter

me...I don't. No badges and we've got over 70 staff.

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't and I don't know any locally that do.

6. pooped

pooped New commenter

We have delightful photo ID on a bright blue lanyard!

7. We do. Several long termers moaned about them and wore them around their waist/out of side to make a point.
    I don't care, but have managed to lose or destroy three in the space of 18 months. I am ashamed to go and ask for a new one.

8. We have photo id on green lanyards. Doesn't bother me really, at least I know who I am....lol
    Only problem I have is i sometimes bonk the kids on the head with mine.
    Visitors wear one with a red lanyard that say VISITOR.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

The revelations in your second sentence justify the cynicism of the 'long termers' expressed in your first.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Round here it's all little metal badges in varying colours depending on the school. The discussion is between pins-which are more secure but put holes in your clothes-and magnets-which are always dropping off. We have gone for magnets in a fetching shade of red!

11. We don't have them, but schools around us do. I don't really see the point of them in a smallish school where you know everybody. Visitors wear red ones to show they are visitors.
    However if I was made to wear one I won't bother objecting - I think there are bigger issues worth standing up for. - Chose your battle!

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Surely it's not so much to identify the staff to each other-presumably you know who you work with- but to identify the staff to parents and visitors who might not!

13. I'm surprised there are some schools around who still do not do this, as it was sold to us as a non-negotiable for security. (How I hate that new buzz word that means management feel justified in having a tantrum if questioned).

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We find introducing ourselves works well ... visitors wear a red visitors badge

15. Had one for years. For the first few months I kept 'forgetting' to put it on. Then I put it on for ofsted, then I hung it in my cupboard and haven't seen it for some time.
    I wouldn't 'refuse', I'd just 'forget' and eventually they'll get fed up with asking.
    Good luck - it may be a small thing, but it all adds up...

16. We have fetching metal ones, designed and made by the local high school and flogged to all their feeder schools. They have pins in and make holes in your clothes.
    I think they were meant to be worn every day, but in reality I only wear mine on a trip or when it is parents evening.
    As a teacher who shares a class it was useful in the first parents evening as it saved time explaining who was who to the parents.
    Mind you, you get good naturedly called a swot if you wear one.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was a visitor at a school with a red badge. Some had green badges. Red meant "No CRB - not to be left alone".

18. We have red ones to match the school uniform and say "staff" all the way along. They're really useful and mean we are easily identifiable when parents are around - especially before and after school. They all have our photos on and the school number in case they are lost.
    We are only a team of about 45, but they are an easy way to let visitors (especially YR parents in September!) know who to grab if they have question/need directions. It also helps everyone feel equal - none say "teacher" or "ta" or "head".

Visitors have blue with that written along, helpers have green in the same fashion and our governors have black.
    They've all been noted by parents at our drop in sessions as very useful. Nothing to do with safety or Ofsted, just a very easy way to ID yourselves to parents, visitors, engineers etc.
    Introducing yourself sounds like a lovely idea...but in reality I certainly don't have time to walk through school saying "I'm Mrs. XYZ from 123 Class...just ask if you need anything" to every person I see that doesn't work with me!

19. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

'Tis very common in my LA. At one of my schools, my badge also contains the doofer for opening all the internal doors. So if you don't wear it you're stuck! At my other school the children enjoy giving us stickers with which to decorate our badges. You have to look quite carefully to see the photos!

20. We have photo id on lanyards, but I stopped wearing mine when it was clear that every time I peered over a child's shoulder to look at their work I would hit them in the back of the head with it!