1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wearing masks in school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Scintillant, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Given that evidence now (WHO, Royal Society etc.) very heavily points to wearing masks as being an extremely useful preventative, and according to many, an essential, I'd be interested to see if anyone can put forward an argument as to why I shouldn't have a mask to wear in school in September...

Neatly summed up here by the VP of the British Academy, in his letter to the Guardian

You report that evidence from scientists supports the wearing of face masks, and describe the case as being supported by the president of the Royal Society, Venki Ramakrishnan (No 10 must promote face mask use more forcefully, experts warn, 7 July). Your report, however, gives the impression that some opinions differed, suggesting a meaningful degree of doubt about the efficacy of masks.

It will almost always be the case that evidence is “mixed” in strength and quality, and sometimes in its conclusions. However, this depiction of the evidence significantly misrepresents the strength of the case for wearing masks. The rapid review conducted for the Royal Society and British Academy by Melinda Mills draws on a wide net of evidence (not just supportive evidence) and includes both statistical and narrative analysis to underpin its conclusions. The weight of this evidence clearly supports the more widespread and consistent use of face masks in a variety of contexts.

I would urge anyone who wants to understand this to read the report itself. The sooner the UK government acts on this evidence the better.

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Can you bear wearing a mask all day? Don't you find the heat, the sweat, the CO2 concentration intolerable?
    I'm glad it's not my problem anymore. A 30min dash round the supermarket is as much as I can stand in a mask. I'd just have to accept putting myself at risk if I had to inhale the exhalations of 120 kids and staff every day without one. Not a comforting proposition.

3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Scintillant likes this.
  4. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

We've been told we will be, I'm not looking forward to it.

Scintillant likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wore one today in school - a number of other teachers also did.

6. Scintillant

I'd rather wear a mask for a few hours a day, rather than a ventilator for several weeks, and then a wooden overcoat.

7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Seatbelts were once optional.
    Seatbelts save lives and are for everyone. The British Safety Council campaigned tirelessly for over twenty years until wearing a car seatbelt while driving become a legal requirement in 1983. ... When it comes to death by driving, titles are no protection from harm and the law applies to everyone

FormosaRed likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Has your school told you that you can't wear one?

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A few of the Year 10s were wearing one this morning too.

10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Jam today for Aqua!

Scintillant likes this.
  11. Scintillant

It was explained that they don't work, lol.

But I am absolutely sure that will change.

needabreak likes this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A mask will get dirty and damp and will be fingered by the wearer who will, no doubt, also rub their eyes and mouth and so on. I think teachers should have several masks daily and a full face shield.

needabreak and colacao17 like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's a disgraceful thing to post. Look at the various news feeds. Cardboard rather than wood.

Scintillant likes this.
  14. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

15. Scintillant

16. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

You soon get used to them. I wear one whenever I'm outside the house, however long I'm out for.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

My colleagues have complained it will make some children ankshuss seeing us that way. Which is so incredibly immaterial an a sign of the times and an offshoot of why we have gone so wrong in this as a nation. But that's another thread. Or another hundred, I digress...

They have also complained that it will impact on audibility and finer comprehension via facial clues, which I do think is going to be a real issue. We will need to train ourselves in clear and loud delivery which counters that.
    However, learning from a masked person at the front of the room cannot be as hard for the kids as learning everything from a screen as they have been doing... this I mean in terms of the quality of their learning, not in terms of the quality of their experience.

Teaching through a mask has one major advantage in that it will facilitate some teacher effin and blinding at kids who are really difficult. I'm looking forward to that bit. Telling it like it is under wraps

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  18. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

How inventive will the children be with the way they wear masks, do you think? Will the masks need to match the academy uniform colours and cost ten times what Asda would charge?

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

:D:D:D
    I'm sure you're right!

agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  20. WB

WB Lead commenter

These must be the best option for teachers.

61ul+XDhhBL._AC_SX450_.jpg