1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wearing colourful clothing could get you a pay rise.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

A prof at Manchester Business School says that wearing colourful clothes tells people you are creative and imaginative and want to be noticed. He cites Jon Snow's colourful ties and socks and Theresa May's daring fashion choices. What do you think? Do you belong to the daring brigade or do you wear neutrals so you can fade into the background?

2. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

"One in 25 (4 per cent) of 2,000 workers quizzed even say they earn £10,000 or more per year than they would otherwise due to investing in attractive clothes with a splash of colour."

Sounds like BS.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

You could be right there,VE.[​IMG]

4. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

This is so silly!
    Many work environments prefer a 'conservative' dress code, so gaudy colours might be out of place.
    Some people like to wear bright colours; for others, they make one look so washed out.
    I prefer to stick to my neutrals, thanks- don't want to have a ghostly complexion at school!

Lascarina likes this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I remember years ago being on a training course (in my pre-teaching days, when I was still a fresh faced graduate) where the trainer drew attention to his tie, pointing out that because it was coloured and patterned, we would see him as creative, innovative and bold (or words to that effect)

I don't remember what the training was for now, but I remember thinking what an eejit and what a load of Bulls.

Some people seem to be able to carry off outlandish, unconventional or eccentric dress and look like creative and interesting individuals. Others can't, they just look like they're trying too hard to look creative and interesting and that underneath it all there's the soul of a man in a grey suit.

kibosh likes this.
  6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I always wear brightly coloured socks (its my "trademark") bright blue today. Rest is boring, white shirt, dull green jumper, grey pants. At least in FE, we don't have to have the stupid corporate look of the "suits".

7. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

That Batmanghelidgh (however you spell it) woman is living proof that this theory is spot on. She got loads of money for doing very little.

8. VanEyssen

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Here's a picture my son took of me recen[​IMG]tly.

Noja and kibosh like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

[​IMG]

Yes. And this is me. Poor little black-clad me.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

That's uncanny, Lascy! Is that my Xmas present you're knitting?

Lascarina and kibosh like this.
  12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Most employers don't want bold, innovative, creative individuals, they want the opposite.

Lascarina, grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Colourful clothes didn't save Grayson Perry lookalike Ruth from getting fired on the Apprentice last week.

VanEyssen likes this.
  14. VanEyssen

Well not for production line work but for most professional money jobs, yes.

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I don't see you like that at all!

In my mind you are more like this:-

[​IMG]

InkyP, monicabilongame and kibosh like this.
  16. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

that's me finished then :D

cissy3 likes this.
  17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

ROFPML![​IMG]

cissy3 likes this.
  18. Middlemarch

I found her a bit scary. The bit when she was 'training' the other sin her team to be better at selling (cue Ruth doing hideous, teeth-projecting grin and saying "Morning!" at imaginary passer-by) made me want her sacked there and then.

19. Middlemarch

Because I know you, me too!

20. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

That's me stuffed then. Today I am sporting grey pinstripe trousers, plain black boots, a black V-neck jumper, and for protection against the frosty air-con, a long grey cardi. No wonder I'm still a nobody.