1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weaning LO (and myself!) off BF @ 15 months

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Fleur ;-), Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I BF my LO twice a day, morning and night. He asks for it both times, quite insistently! I decided to try to wean him off last week, and began by offering him milk from a beaker before offering the breast. He did not take kindly to this (to say the least!) and became really distressed, this then upset me and we were both crying! So i just gave him some milk from me and he was happy. He had about 3 drinks of milk from the beaker. I've tried to do this every day since then - just in the morning, can't face that amount of upset at bedtime yet. He only ever drinks 2 or three sips from the beaker at the most.
    To be honest, there's some resistance from me as well, i'm not sure i really want to give up, I like it, it's easy, LO likes it, there's no issues. The only reason i even started trying to wean him is that we are now going to ttc no.2, and I am confused about BF when pregnant/trying to get pregnant. I know you can, but i don't know if it makes ttc harder, or makes you tireder etc. Also, i don't really want to have to wean him close to having another baby as i don't want him to feel jealous or pushed out.
    Has anyone got any tips or sugggestions about how to wean successfully?
    Thanks, Fleur x

2. I suspect that if you made a solid decision to wean, then you might find it easier- just now, neither of you want to stop, so of course it will be hard!
    Why not try cutting down to just a night feed? I found after extended feeding that a beaker didnt work- I used a bottle( I think the feel of it was more like breast feeding) Could your partner take on a morning feed?

Ultimately if you are happy , then your baby will be! I had to stop as I had to have surgery, so once I had decided it was time, it was much easier.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Can you go out for the evening or something so he can't have a feed, just to break the habit?

4. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

I wouldn't wean him just to ttc, as it sounds like neither of you are ready. I fell pregnant with number 2 when LO was 12 months and still breastfeeding 3-4 times a day (including during the night). I felt very strongly that I didn't want to wean him to ttc and we didn't even have to try very hard! By the time I was 14 weeks pregnant I felt ready to wean him as I was exhausted and I think my milk had dried up anyway. I just stopped from one day to the other and it was fine. It does sound however that your LO is far more attached to BF than mine was, but you might find that he goes off the milk anyway during pregnancy.
    I think ultimately that if you are not convinced and determined that it is the right thing to do then LO will sense this and it will be harder. I just wanted to tell you my experience so you know it is possible to get pregnant easily while breastfeeding!
    Good luck xxx

5. Someone at my bf group said that the taste of your milk changes when you're pregnant so some babies stop wanting to feed by their own choice. Not sure if this is true of all but it might help your decision x

6. There are plenty of people who have tandem fed but I have also heard that babies self wean if you get pregnant again. I'd say, unless you really want to give up, don't! And BH the fact that you were crying I'd say you're nowhere near ready- that's how I felt when I had to wean my girl off to return to work when she was 7 months- very very sad. I kept up morning and evening feeds, then just morning, til she was almost 11 months but then I'd had enough and it was easy to stop.

7. I wouldn't wean to ttc. My sister get pg very easily while still bf, and her lo self weaned while she was pg. As far as I know as long as you are having periods you are fertile enough to get pregnant.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html should help give you a few thoughts about whether you want to wean or not.
    If you do decide to wean, then I'm really not the best person to give advice as I'm still feeding my 18month old, but I was thinking we might use the "don't offer, don't refuse" method, so basically you always wait for him to ask (and possibly distract with other things when you know he is likely to want it) but don't refuse if he does ask. It's not quick but it's quite gentle, and it should stop either of you getting too upset about it.

8. nmason

nmason New commenter

I'm in the same boat, however I haven't started to try to wean yet as LO is such a boob monster. I can generally get away with feeding him morning and night but quite often he wants it in the night to. I haven't seen any sign of my Af yet and what with my clock ticking and having had an ectopic I don't want to leave it too late as the next one could be ectopic as well. So no real suggestions here just thought you'd like to know you are not alone (my LO is almost 15 months).

9. I am in same boat - no periods here at all, at 15 months and 3-4 feeds a day. When I am back at school, I see it going down to 2 a day. regarding the morning, would it help if OH got up and gae them breakfast and milk in a beaker? Mine will do this, but then does try to have
    mummy milk afterwards (and I let her!). Although you can get pregnant while still feeding, I have read that it makes implantation more difficult - it is possible, but relatively unlikely. anecdotally, people's age seems to make a difference, too.

10. I am at this stage too, altho not trying to wean to ttc but just because I feel dranined and am definitely ready! I know how you feel tho, my OH suggested I start thinking about stopping a few months ago (because I was moaning about lack of freedom, etc) and I burst into tears so clearly I wasn't ready then! I feel prepared now, but my LO is still a v keen feeder and falls asleep on the breast so we are going to struggle I fear.
    She has just started nursery so I don't want to change too many things at once but am hoping to sort it out by Christmas. Good luck with whatever you decide x

11. Thanks for your advice and suggestions, it's helpful to hear how others have done it,and reassuring that others are in the same boat! I've decided to stick with it really, i still like it and so does LO, and like people have commented we are obviously not ready yet. I think we'll end up going down a very gradual route and fingers crossed that our ttc plans fit in with this! xx