1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

weaning books

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Wylfie, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Just when I think I'm starting to navigate the choppy waters of motherhood another minefield looms on the horizon...weaning!
    I'm clueless so want to be prepared. Just wondered if anyone can recommend some good/useful/fairly objective reads on the subject and/or whether you agree/disagree with baby lead weaning or mashing up their food and shoving it in :)
    Any help gratefully received.

2. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

I would recommend reading the Baby Led Weaning book by Gill Rapley as an introduction to it and then you can decide whether or not you want to do it, and if you do, whether it works in practice for your LO. I must say that I found the arguments for doing it very convincing in theory, but when we came around to doing it, I found it very difficult as my LO wasn't very cooperative and I had a lack of support when I encountered difficulties. There is also a good chapter in the Baby Book by Dr Sears which is a bit more traditional, but which I found very useful for when to introduce foods. In the end we did a mixture of the two as purely BLW didn't work out for my son, but it's definitely worth a try and being informed. Also worth finding out if there is a local support group. I am in the process of moving to a new area and noticed that my local children's centre run a group, which I would have benefitted from first time round.
    Good luck x

3. I do a pure BLW approach- I did try and spoon feed her but she totally refused it. A weaning group would have been so helpful here as well, I was clueless when I started.
    Both techniques work fine- most people I know seem to be doing BLW, but if your baby is ready before 6 months I think you need to start with spoon feeding anyway.
    I like BLW as my daughter can eat pretty much what we eat. I think sometimes people think of BLW as just feeding vegetable sticks and not much else- I often get asked 'doesn't puree weaning mean you can introduce more flavours' but there is not much BLW babies can not have... It is messy, really, really messy but they can eat anything... we are having chicken curry tonight, lasagne tomorrow and soup last night.
    The BLW recipe book is good to get a broad idea of BLW as well as ideas for what they can have for meals.

Whichever way you do it, it is daunting at first- but you get used to it very quickly!

4. The only one we have is the BLW Cookbook. I have to say, BLW is SO much fun but to do it you need be pretty relaxed about the whole weaning thing I think.

5. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

The Annabel Karmal book was helpful to us when we first started weaning Charlotte at five months. X

6. I agree - yesterday involved crumpet, hummus, cucumber, salad, cherry tomato, red pepper, clementine, broccoli, carrot, mushroom, soya bean, chickpeas, sweetcorn, green beans, couscous, melon, kiwi fruit and one-ingredient-ice-cream! Most of it got a cursory lick but some of it was devoured. It also means we eat better so I don't have to prepare two meals.

7. I was really up for BLW but when I asked my HV she didn't seem to know anything about it and babbled on about purees. As it turns out, we went with early weaning just before 5 months and so started with purees. For this, I foudn the book 'Your baby week by week' by simone cave (I think) really useful as it gave guidelines for how much your baby would be eating and when to move on to different foods / more meals. I also froze up batches of purees from the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler meal planner.
    From 6 months I offered finger foods with every meal. As someone else said, I was met with a lack of support from family who had fears of choking and couldn't see the point in it. I stuck with it, offering chunks of fruit, bread, pasta, veg, etc and yes, tons ended up on the floor or in his hair, but I noticed the improvement in his coordination really quickly and he loves feeding himself.
    I think though, my husband and I would divorce if he was around to see mealtimes - he can't abide mess and gets quite annoyed when stuff ends up on the floor whereas I am strangely relaxed about it all. I really liked my mixed approach and it worked well for us. I fyou go down the BLW appraoach, just beware the far flung bits of food - I often find crusty pasta shapes and soggy blueberries under the sofa and I've had to just take a deep breath when I see little dude chomping away on something and try to fish it out!
    weaning for me has been really good fun - it's like an extra activity you get to do with baby, and you get loads of excellent photo / video ops! Good luck!

8. We did BLW too. Most of my friends did more along the lines of Annabel KArmel though. I went to a weaning workshop organised by sure start (mainly because they were giving out free hand blenders) and they basically showed us how to boil and blend vegetables - I think I could have worked that one out for myself lol.
    If you don't start too much younger than 6 months then BLW is a great way to go, or if you want to do purees then just cook some veg and blend it. I don't think it's rocket science - if you think a combination sounds nice then try it. Under 6 months you aren't supposed to give dairy or wheat, so most people stick with fruit and veg purees.

9. I went along the same lines as Glitterkid and did mixed. My LO was big and hungry so we started early on the purees (about 4 and a half months) and then offered finger food with most meals from about 6 months. It takes a while for them to get over the gagging and learn how to self feed, but once they get the hang of it it's great. At 10 months, LO now feeds herself lunch every day so I can eat at the same time - always a bonus getting to have a proper meal! For example, yesterday she had loads of our leftovers - cold new pots, pasta twirls, cheese straws (made with leftover pastry from previous nights pie), cucumber, cherry toms, blueberries and peach. She loves sandwiches too, which makes life easy!
    I agree with whoever said that you need to get over other people's perceptions, some of my family are horrified at the mess and the amount of food that gets left on the floor, my sister even suggested that once she's thrown something on the floor then she shouldn't be given anything else! Never mind the fact that she'd starve!

10. ha, this sounds like my husband - he scolds LO when he drops food or squashes it. If he could see the ngiths I let him loose with a yogurt and a spoon..... those nights are always bath ngiths!

My munchkin is sitting eating salmon pasta. Cats are sitting under high chair in hope!

11. The only person who worries about mess in our life is the childminder. The rest of us put food on her tray and let her at it, helping her whenever she asks (she hasn't mastered eating risotto or soup with a spoon so asks for help). Yoghurt and jelly are fantastic fun to watch, and she needs a bath most nights after dinner.