1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weaning and breastfed babies

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by seriouslikecrazy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi all

I did do a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.
    Basically my LO is 17 weeks and in a few weeks I want to sart weaning her. I think she is ready now, she sits up, holds a spoon and can get it to her mouth, she watches me when I eat. I have done my own research and I personally would like to start with baby rice and purees etc and then do a mix of BLW and mushed food.
    However baby is only breast fed and won't take a bottle of expressed milk any more (my fault I got lazy in giving her one once we sorted out some breastfeeding problems). So my question is what is the easiest way of preparing the baby rice and other cereals for her. Do I just have a supply of breast milk in the fridge and use a bit each day? Is there a simple way of being organised?
    I don't want to give formula at all because it would seem she has a cow milk sensitivity. I have been told you can get goat milk formula but not seen it yet? Has anyone tried it?
    Thanks in advance of your replies.

2. Hi all

I did do a search but couldn't find what I was looking for.
    Basically my LO is 17 weeks and in a few weeks I want to sart weaning her. I think she is ready now, she sits up, holds a spoon and can get it to her mouth, she watches me when I eat. I have done my own research and I personally would like to start with baby rice and purees etc and then do a mix of BLW and mushed food.
    However baby is only breast fed and won't take a bottle of expressed milk any more (my fault I got lazy in giving her one once we sorted out some breastfeeding problems). So my question is what is the easiest way of preparing the baby rice and other cereals for her. Do I just have a supply of breast milk in the fridge and use a bit each day? Is there a simple way of being organised?
    I don't want to give formula at all because it would seem she has a cow milk sensitivity. I have been told you can get goat milk formula but not seen it yet? Has anyone tried it?
    Thanks in advance of your replies.

3. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

Hello, first of all check with your health visitor about weaning- most recommend nowadays waiting until 6 months if at all possible, especially if the baby is exclusively breastfed. 17 weeks does seem early to start weaning. Even if your little one can hold the spoon and seems interested in you eating, unless she seems really hungry and you are struggling to feed her enough with breast milk (which sounds unlikely if she is not interested in the bottle) it is better to wait for a bit longer. As you probably know breast milk is absolutely amazing and by far the best thing for your baby, for the bond between you, your figure, for your baby's immune system, brain development, muscle development in the baby's mouth which then helps with speech, etc, and it is tailored to your baby's needs. Well done for persevering.

Most babies start getting much hungrier after around 4 months, and by 6 months are definitely needing something extra. Make sure your baby gets enough water, she'll reach around six months as the weather is getting warmer, and will be old enough to start drinking out of a sippy cup. Boil and cool water and put it in a sippy cup and constantly offer it to your baby so that she gets used to drinking plenty of fluids. You can also use the same cooled, boiled water to make the baby rice. It is best to start with this as it is bland and gentle on your little one's digestive system. Don't introduce more than one food in a day, or if possible in two or more days. This way you will be able to spot if something doesn't agree with her, but also remember that this will coincide with teething which makes babies grumpy, irritable, and not themselves! Keep on breastfeeding as long as possible as when your baby is teething this might be the only thing they want, even if they enjoy their food normally.

Pureed fruits and vegetables are great. Abel and Cole do a great box for babies/toddlers that has a range of colours and textures (PM me and I can give you a link). Egg yolk is good for iron and other trace elements. Try fish, risotto, goat's milk yoghurt. Remember introduce things gradually and as wide a range as possible.

Good luck!

4. shamsh

Sorry about lack of paragraphs, I did put them in and they kept on disappearing!

5. Hi! I've just hit on the idea of freezing ebm in ice cube trays to use with baby cereal etc. Genius, lol! ;-)

6. Hi SLC,
    Time flies! Think your HV will just recommend you give extra bfeeds at this stage if your daughter is hungry as she's still a way off the 26 weeks they recommend weaning at.
    I hadn't expressed for a while when we got to 6 months but I got my pump out and expressed small amounts each morning the week before we started and froze it in bf bags. itwas literally 20ml or so in each bag as i struggled to get much even with a good pump. After a few weeks I switched to cows milk in her cereal.Like clematis' idea of ice cube trays (as long as no one has one in their G and T !).
    Good luck with it all

7. Thanks for the replies. I'm not weaning yet but I will start at 5 months I think, I'll see if my LO is ready then. I just want to be organised and also I personally feel 6 months is late to be introducing foods and they should be eating a variety of foods by 6 months. The idea of waiting until 6 months is based on the WHO guidelines I believe and this is really for countries with poor sanitary conditions. I think when I did my research the WHO report acknowledged that there could be some dietary deficiencies in children if they wait until 6 months to start weaning. I'm also a bit nervous about going straight from milk to chunky solids if we did BLW. I think BLW alone could well mean a baby won't get to eat everything if it doesn't have some help with feeding. Obviously it is a personal choice and we will all do what is best for our babies. I'm not planning on doing anything too much before 6 months, just basic rice then rice with pear etc. We had some weaning lessons and our HV advocated a mixed approach and said 17 weeks is the minimum of when we should start. The info you gave me is fantastic though, thanks for taking the time to reply[​IMG]
    That is a brill idea I love it [​IMG]

I'll PM for the details too. Thank you.

8. I didn't know that you could use water, makes life easier.

Thanks for the reply too lady marm. Hope you are getting some sleep. I'm not lol, 2.30 is my morning alarm. She just has so much to tell me, babbling away

9. shamsh

My son was quite badly asthmatic when he was tiny, so we had to be really careful introducing dairy because of the possibility of allergies to dairy, so the doctor recommended starting with baby rice made with water. I agree with you about the importance of introducing a wide variety of foods early, that is also one of the beauties of breast feeding that your milk has a different taste depending on what you've been eating, so that helps too.

The ice cubes are a good idea. Good luck with the sleep- girls do seem to feed more often and smaller amounts, but you'll probably find she'll sleep for longer when she's on solids...

10. It really isn't - babies nutritional needs are pretty similar whether they live in Cambridge or Cameroon.
    This is the latest NHS Start4Life weaning leaflet here which is excellent and echoes many of the principles of BLW.
    There is an excellent two part post on the subject of early weaning and gut maturity, allergies etc here:http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2011/01/starting-solids-facts-behind-todays.html
    and here:
    http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2011/02/starting-solids-can-babies-be-ready.html

And a little something to ponder on baby rice: http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/search/label/Baby%20Rice
    Just presenting the other side of the coin. For what it's worth, life was SO much easier when my daughter was exclusively breastfed - no trying to come up with ideas for lunch/dinner, much less tidying up! There's no rush, honestly [​IMG]

11. Can I just point out that this is not true 'Baby-Led Weaning'. It is contradictory to the whole point of BLW. The premise is to be totally baby-led which means that they need to be feeding themselves not having their gag-reflex over-ridden by spoon-feeding.
    This is a misconception that I have seen around alot lately.

I hope you find what works best for you but I would really advise looking at the links in the post above.

:)

12. Blademaid: it's perfectly acceptable to do a mixture and it sounds like seriouslikecrazy has done her research. We did "pure" BLW with our daughter (now two yrs old), no spoon-feeding at all unless she was self feeding with preloaded spoon. With my son (now 6.5 months) we have adopted a mixed approach and he takes food from the spoon as well as feeding himself everything we eat (I am cooking many meals from the blw cookbook but also family meals that we share with our toddler). He is even developing a pincer grip, feeding himself raisins, and has nowhere near "overridden" his gag reflex. I had a conversation with a friend, a first timd mum who has a big, beautiful very happy girl who was hungry and is being successfully fed purees. I had to make her feel that she was doing thd right thing by doing the puree route as she had been at a group where a mum was shoeing off about her daughter rating chicken stir fry and noodles! Why are some people so BLW-or-nothing in their approach, making others feel like they're doing the wrong thing by adopting a more traditional route?

13. clematis: I never said that the OP couldn't do a mix - it's up to her what she does. I was merely pointing out that the approach popularised by Gill Rapley called Baby Led Weaning does not involve any 'feeding' of baby, and that the links from bunique may offer some more information she may not have looked at previously.

14. Hmm, you stated that doing a mix is a misconception and that spoon feeding will override the gag reflex... Sounds pretty anti a mixed approach to me! Of course it's up to anyone how they feed their babies as you also say. I'm very happy with our mixed approach, to reassure seriouslikecrazy!

15. Just to say, I exclusively bfed and succcesfully weaned at 19 weeks and now have a strapping 18 month old who eats everything and anything in sight! I am a firm believer in mum knows best. At the end of the day, we were all weaned a lot earlier than current guidelines and I'm assuming we're all ok? A mixture is pretty much what we did, there's no real reason why you need to choose one 'method' and stick to it religously. A combination is what most people do naturally. We started with purees which you need to at that age, and then did finger food too from about 6 months. I have friends who tried different methods and tbh the results in toddler hood seem pretty similar to me.
    In terms of using breast milk, I think I just expressed small amounts every couple of days and kept in the back of the fridge to use in baby rice. Baby rice is fairly bland and tasteless so I found LO much prefered fruit and veg purees so we didn't use much ebm in the end. Pear, parsnip, sweet potato and carrot were the first we tried I think. I'd really recommend Annabel Karmels books. Good luck!

16. My LO was formula fed. We started purees etc at 18 weeks and finger foods at 6months. LO ate everything in sight and got fatter and fatter and fatter until about 13 months. Now at 16 months she just picks and eats mainly raisins, cheese and cheerios! I was so impressed today that she tried carrots and peas and she used to eat these all the time! It feels like such a big deal when you start weaning, and it is scary, and these 'debates' do not help. In the main, the mum knows what she can deal with and what the baby can deal with and they should stick to that. My LO was hungry and needed to eat solids; I wasn't able to cope with the gagging for a while. I still don't give whole grapes, some sweets (e.g. minieggs!) or apple with peel on as I am scared of choking, but my friend is blase about all these things. Go with your gut instinct and don't get bogged down in the research, do what feels natural and have fun with it, we still sing the little songs we made up to help the purees go down!

17. SLC, i did a mix of purees and finger foods and it has worked well for us. Sometimes she liked to be spponfed (mainly does it herself now), sometimes she firmly let us know she fancied finger foods. It is a lot of fun and i hope you really enjoy weaning.
    PS Thanks for the sleep comment, we slept all night last night, heaven!!! Hope you had a better night xx

18. I understood your point blademaid that you can't really call it BLW if you also spoonfeed.
    Some mums Ive met are so funny/snobby about BLW though! Like it's the holy grail and if you spoonfeed you are doing something outrageous. Makes me chuckle... we all do what works for us and sure we can't look at a group of 5 year olds and pick out the BLWeaned ones!

19. Quite, wormburger x

20. Well I seem to have started a bit of a debate. Thanks for the information and links everyone. What I should have said was I will be doing a mix of puree and baby led feeding. Ok I can't call it BLW if I'm feeding her at all and I may also preload her spoon!! I don't support total baby led weaning, that is my opinion, and as others have said it is better to do what feels right and natural for mum and baby. No way could I watch my baby get all fustrated trying to eat a yogurt or soup when I can help her, just doesn't seem right to me. Ok she can use her hands but why when I can help her with a spoon? I'm pretty sure we eat a healthy diet and I will generally be cooking all babies meals from scratch (I may stick the odd jar in my changing bag incase we ever get stuck out of the house!!!). I'm pretty sure my baby won't be obese because I spoon feed her some apple and carrot. I'm not stupid and I'm pretty sure I can read my babies cues as to when she is full or fed up.
    The info on baby rice was interesting, only had a quick read but will be having another look.
    Thanks again for the replies and especially for the support.