1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weaning and being sick!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by blueone, May 19, 2011.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

I just need a bit of advice regarding my 7 1/2 month old. Ive been weaning for about 8 weeks and my LO is a little indifferent with food. He has been having 3 meals a day for about 3 weeks now and for about a week he has projectile vomited almost every night. It started last friday and he vomited in his cot (came out of his nose and everything!!) and since then it has been fairly frequent, particularly at night. I know you may think he has a bug, but i dont think he has as he is well in himself. Im guessing its something to do with his food and maybe the quantity and also what he is eating. Tonight he vomited quite a lot again, this time whilst having his dinner. He coughed a few times and then his whole dinner came up.
    The only meal he is really keen on is breakfast and he gobbles that up. He isnt too keen on lunch or dinner. In fact, i basically have to force feed him his tea! He also seems to prefer finger food, pieces of cheese, rice cakes, toast etc.. and wretches when he has mushed food! Im starting to worry a bit.. is this normal?? He is a big boy and always loved his milk, i thought he would be the same with food but he doesnt seem to like it at all!

2. Hi Blueone,
    Sorry to hear your LO is poorly. We have started having the exact them thing in terms of prefering finger food. With us it has happened very suddenly, she has always had a massive appetite and eaten loads of purees, porridge, yoghurt etc from a spoon but suddenly she won't accept anything from a spoon, unless I load it for her and then it tends to go everywhere. I too feel like I'm force feeding her. I am struggling to fill her up with finger foods and after managin to cut down to 3 milk feeds a day I am having to feed her much more often as she's not filling up on solids anymore.
    With us, I think it may be teething and also a nasty cold. I think the feeling of a mouth full of food combined with a blocked nose frightens her as she can't breathe properly so she is refusing purees. It had also occurred to me that it may just be her asserting her independence a bit. Or it may be that she doesn't need as much food as I am trying to get into her.
    This probably isn't that helpful to you but I just thought I'd let you know we are having similar issues, minus the vomiting. Maybe let a doctor check him over just in case it's a bug?
    Good luck x

3. blueone

blueone New commenter

Thanks wormburger!
    I wanted to do baby led weaning with my LO but im afraid i gave up because he wouldnt feed himself! (I know its about playing with food at the beginning etc.. ) but i was anxious that he wasnt eating enough. He prefers me feeding him food and breaking it into little bits. he is great with toast, crackers, bread sticks, cheese etc.. but he seems to have totally gone off pureed/mashed food, i dont know why! He has been teething so maybe its that too? goodness, i didnt think weaning would stress me out so much!!!!!!!!!!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You're force feeding him his tea, and then he's sick.

I'm no expert, far from it... but to me that doesn't really make much sense.

5. blueone

blueone New commenter

No I am not force feeding him excessively so he is sick, I give him a some food and when i know he has enough i stop, but he is taking less than previously and enjoying it less, therefore those few mouthfulls feel like I am 'force feeding' him. What I meant by OP was that his behaviour and attitude toward his food has changed, and he has recently started to be sick after eating evening meals. I would never forcefully make him do anything, especially not to harm him and i obviously have enough sense to realise that by 'force feeding' him excessive amouts of food then he would be sick!

6. Have you talked to the health visitor? Being sick in LOs can I think be a sign.of food allergies

7. Is it straight after feeding he is sick? Or after some time... because I am guessing each would have a different cause. I would talk to a HV and make a chart of what you feed and if he is sick.
    You could try a day of finger food and see if you have the same problem.

8. Blueone, my LO did this and it did turn out to be a bug. He was well in himself and happy enough but whenever he ate anything solid for about 2 weeks he was sick. He kept his milk down and I was really worried until about 5 days in and I started being sick too and that's when I twigged.
    My HV said to take him off all solids, just offer milk and water. When he has stopped vommiting for 2 full days slowly reintroduce plain foods. We had to do this 2 or 3 times because he started being sick again. He wasn't interested in the food and he has always been a good eater. One day we were sat with the biscuit barrel and he just grabbed a custard cream and scoffed the lot. That's when we knew he was better!
    HV did say that tummy bugs in babies can last 2 or 3 weeks and to monitor fluids. Give him sips of dioralyte after he has been sick. Are there any changes in his nappies?
    Try not to worry too much, if he is having his milk and doesn't seem ill and has lots of wet nappies he will be fine without the solids for a bit.