1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Wealthy children more than a year ahead when they start school

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 18, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You beat me to it M!

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The big problem is that the kids with all the advantages get to learn fast and well, and that catching up is unrealistic. No-one would expect me to beat Usain Bolt in a sprint if he was given a head start. If I did, people would start to wonder what had slowed Usain down.
    Yes we should be working as hard as we can for the disadvantaged kids - most schools already try as hard as they can. They need to have an appropriate curriculum that allows them to progress and find some success.

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I blame the nanny who provides good food, interesting toys, interaction 24x7 and companionship.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Spot on. I've long ranted about the notion of "catch up".

7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Or "Narrowing the gap".

Seems that teachers are supposed to compensate for all of this but there is only so much you can do.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Does there actually need to be a "race" of any sort - especially at the younger ages - under 16 say? Of course the middle classes love the racing - their kids just win and win and win, even if the race is pretty pointless except to lord it over the oiks.

It is very limited if you insist on running everyone in the races. There is a lot more that can be done if the education system allowed disadvantage kids to retrace the footsteps - sort of - of middle class children - giving them some self esteem and a willingness to engage. By 16 many of them WILL have caught up - rather than have been ground down even further by ancient educational practices and rituals.

The only way to do this is to BAN THE RACES for under 16s, not stupidly insist on having them, at least not until post 16. Let the middle classes and the boring old farts protest to the telegraph - it's time to make education democratic and individually tailored. This is possible, but you have to throw away the centuries old mindset of what "education" should be.

phlogiston likes this.