1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weakness in one arm?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Could you have possibly over-used your right hand or arm e.g. do you do a lot of computer work or playing an instrument?
    Do you actually have any pain or stiffness anywhere?

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I think it sounds very much like a repetitive strain injury. I have a touch of RSI and find it hard to put weight on my right wrist which makes yoga etc hard and sometimes have a dull achy pain in the lower arm. When it was bad years back i could not lift a mug or brush my hair so beware. Try to find out what it is that is causing it to develop and try to make changes e.g i always use a wrist rest and a special mouse when computing. The doc told me that it is a chronic condition once you have it.

3. Thanks for the suggestions. I do use a computer a lot but as soon as it started I switched my mouse over to the other hand.
    Plymouthmaid - it sounds very similar to what you describe (unfortunately!) were you given anything for it? And was there a specific cause? I cant think what might have set it off so suddenly.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

There is a name for this (which I forget!). I was sent for a CT scan when this first happened to me (I had a stroke at 29 so they like to check up on me) but it seems to be nothing more than a temporary problem which recurs when I have had a lot of typing/marking to do, and have been sitting in one position for too long.
    I have a new chair and a laptop riser which do seem to help.